1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Starting trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 11:12 AM
yonah96
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting trouble

I have a '96 Avenger 4cyl, with 105k, and recently have been having some trouble getting it to crank. The longer the car sets, the more severe the problem is, but it does not have problems all of the time. If it sets for 8 hours, or more, it will either crank after about 3 to 5 revs, or not in the first 100 or so. This problem seems to be completely random. The only hint of a pattern is that it seems to happen more often when the A/C was on when the car was shut off. When I have only set about 5 minutes and try to crank it up, occasionally it will sputter a little, like it is out of gas, and then die. It will almost always crank in the next 3 to 5 revs. The car runs great after I get it cranked, and has no other symptoms of any kind.

I love this car, but I hate this problem! Can someone please HELP!?! [:@]

Old 07-25-2006, 01:09 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker
Default RE: Starting trouble

The most common probs I c with No starts is either failed Battery, Alternator, or Starter. You said you are getting sum crank and that she is sputters a lil. I think your motor is being starved. Did you check you sparks, plugs, and/or fuel system. Yeah I know easier said then done. There is some stuff you can buy to clean your fuel injectors. Hope that helped.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:45 AM
avenger9689

I agree with PappiDread6. I have a problem starting my car as well. when you turn the key to turn the engine over you will hear a click but no start. It most likely is your starter because thats what my Haynes Repair Manual said, and my step-father also said thats almost a definant answer. and with the sputtering noises, thats because your fuel injectors are not injecting fuel into your engine properly. What I do is every time I fill up my tank I dump this stuff called "(GUMOUT FUEL INJECTOUR/CARB. CLEANER). So far its been helping my car a lot!

Old 08-09-2006, 12:22 PM
scatpackmopar
Veteran

If my car sits for 2 weeks or so it usually sputters when I first crank it over [if it starts at all without a jump] After that it starts and runs fine?

Quick Reply: Starting trouble