1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Sounds Like Tie Rod Probs

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 01:02 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds Like Tie Rod Probs

I think itd the tierod cause when I turn in either direction when under 20mph give or take I hear this noise sounds like 2 metal pipes rubbing across each other. I think it wuz oiled up before they sold it cause it wuz fine till I drove her in the rain then i started hearing it. The best description I could give is... Aight u ever open a rusty door 2 an old car or rusty trunk like a loud creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak! [:@]I don't want to keep ridin her cause i worried all that rubbing will eventually stop and so will the ability 2 turn. Yeah I was also wondering if you could put Video or sound on these post? If sound I can get a video of the prob to give u a better idea.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:36 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: Sounds Like Tie Rod Probs

Try this...raise both sides or whatever side is making the noise (I would do both, just because you're already doing one) and put your hands on the 9 and 3 oclock positions and pull one side at a time to make it teeter. The purpose is to see if you have any play...this is how you can quick check tie rods btw...not so much on how to check which ones are bad though. It will get you started.

While you're there, look at all the balljoints and more importantly...try to simulate the noise(s) that you hear and get back with us.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:41 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Oh yeah, don't forget to check your strut mount bushings for cracks and tears.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:25 PM
cbccadet2002
Rookie

I just had that problem a few months back. my noise would go away if i was in park and turn the wheel all the way to the right then all the way to the left a few times. It turned out to be the ball joints. If there isn't any history of them being replaced a dealership should do it for free, at least mine did for the recall awhile back.

Quick Reply: Sounds Like Tie Rod Probs