1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Whinning noise while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 03:27 AM
98avenger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whinning noise while accelerating

I just got a 1998 dodge avenger sport it has 122,000 miles but from what i read in the DF it will last for a long time. Its a great car and love the way it drives and handles, but when I accelerate there is a whinning noise that seems like it comes from the front right side of the car but i cant be sure about it. Can you give me any ideas?
Thanks Justin

P.S. Love the forum its really helped me make my decision about getting a Avenger thanks again.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:39 PM
hckyplayer8
Rookie
Default RE: Whinning noise while accelerating

check your brakes.....do you know how long ago the pads were changed also check the caliper.....when my caliper went bad it didnt hang all the way but the little it did hang the end result was chewing up the pads and a whinning noise under acceleration that eventually turned into a gridding noise and that equals no good for the rotor lol

Old 08-10-2006, 02:20 PM
98avenger

Thanks hckyplayer ill get that looked at.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:08 PM
airman
Rookie

if you have a bad pulley on something it will make a whining noise that increases pitch the faster you rev your engine. if you could get a recording/video of it that'd be extremely helpful =)

Old 08-11-2006, 12:43 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Check all your belt tensions, they could be loose enough to slip causing them to squeal (is that the sound you meant?) during only while accelerating, also during turning (power steering belt). Is your A/C on during this (I'm assuming yes, since it's summer), does it do it with the A/C off?

Old 08-11-2006, 02:10 AM
bgm

i get the same noise, however it's only at a higher speed, once i let go of the accelerator the noise stops, when i get back on it, it starts up again, i figure it might be a vaccum leak or something, but i have to take a closer look at it, when i find something out ill post back

Old 08-11-2006, 08:52 AM
petie_pitbull

My avenger has a noticable whine also from the passenger side front, . though it didnt always , I do however know what caused this. I had run my avenger through some high water & noticed it a few days after this. I had traced it to the air conditioner pump. (passenger side front , bottom of engine) I have been driving it for 2 years like that. AC is still cold as hell, so i quit worrying about it. Almost sounds like a turbo was installed ! I think it gave it character . Not saying this is your situation but if you can lay under the front with engine running , you may just find out it,s your AC pump. Hope this helps you out some.

Quick Reply: Whinning noise while accelerating