1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

I have several problems that are bugging me...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 11:51 PM
Breed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have several problems that are bugging me...

Hey. I just bought a 99 Avenger and I've been working on it because it was completly wasted. I've cleaned the inside greatly but I've been fronted with some mechanical problems that I just can't figure out. One of the main problems I'm having is that my break lights won't work. When I first got the car and took of the fuse box by the engine I searched for missing fuses. I saw that the ABS A50 fuse is missing and that a 20 fuse for the stop light was missing also. I found a 20 fuse in my garage and put it in. Immediately I heard like a clink noise from the other side of the engine, I ignored it at the moment. Later on I found out that my break lights were on the entire time without me pushing the break pedal. So I thought of the fuse and I took it off. That was like 4 days ago. Today I was checking the lights before taking it out for a expection ride and I found out that the break lights din't work. I thought back to the fuse and put it back in and again I heard the clink noise. I kept plugging it in and out until I narrowed it down to this black box on the top left part of the engine compartment. I opened it up and further narrowed it to what I think is a fuse. It says 12V on it, but like I said I'm not good in mechanics. Now I'm lost and I'm not sure on what to do about the break lights. Another problem is that my left rear break disk has a line goind around it, I took off the break pads and they seemed fine to me. I decided to try to take out the disk to go get the disk "line-less" but I wasn't able to take the disk off by itself. Now when I drive the car breaks fine but a loud screeching sound comes from that side. Can anyone help me with these problems?

Old 08-31-2006, 11:11 PM
hckyplayer8
Rookie
Default RE: I have several problems that are bugging me...

is it a deep groove in your disc cuz then it has 2 be replaced....does it look warped......if its a slight grove take it to a shop n have them refurbish ( is that a word lol) your disc n wut does the screeching sound like.....is it normal brake squeal?.....how long ago were the pads changed n how much pad is actually left......is the sound only under breaking or constant?

Old 09-01-2006, 03:54 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

That 12v thing that you mentioned sounds like a 12v relay. It's a black box, correct? As for your brake lights, it sounds like the brake switch, by the brake pedal, is shorted out, thus keeping the brake lights activated. Unplug the brake switch, put the fuse that you take/took out back in. If the brake lights don't come on, there's your problem...the brake switch. If that doesn't solve it, change out that relay with another one from Radio Shack.

The line that you see is one of two things that I can think of, one is the brake pad indicator grinding a line into the rotor or debris that may have gotten stuck in there. The squeal is from removing the brake pad and not reapplying high heat silicone, aka, brake silencer.....or, the brake pad's indicator....since it was removed and replaced and most likely not put back in the exact position. If your brake pad has less than ~1/16" it's most likely the brake indicator telling you to change them, lol.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:42 AM
bgm

very quick somewhat topic related question. what bolt do you use to remove the disc's? 8mm x something? just wondering, thanks

Quick Reply: I have several problems that are bugging me...