1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

SURGING PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 06:43 PM
army avenger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SURGING PROBLEM

Hey, how is everybody! I have a problem I own a 95 2.0 manual trans avenger and I have come across this problem. When I'm traveling and get into about 3rd gear and step on the gas the vehicle seems to feel like it has a miss in, this pretty much pertains to all gears but moslty 3rd and above, I have also noticed at times the car just dies out but will start right back up. So far I have replaced the fuel pump, iat sensor, map sensor, and ignition pack, the problem with troubleshooting is the CEL does not report anything wrong I'm tending to think the computer is going. 1 more thing i also checked/replaced all the vacumm hoses. If anybody has a clue I would appreciate the help.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:15 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: SURGING PROBLEM

Hello Army and welcome to DF,
Have you replaced the plugs and wires and air filter?

Old 10-28-2006, 12:14 PM
army avenger

Yes, I did a complete tune-up on it, could be a chance I got some bad wires(it happens),this has got me stumped thinking of finding a shop that could do real time diag on it and maybe that will help. thanks for the help

Old 10-29-2006, 05:55 PM
99_avenger

did you change the fuel filter and clean out the injector? my avenger done the same thing.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:15 PM
army avenger

the one thing I havn't done is clean out the injectors, gonna give it a try, did yours completely shut of like the 12v power was shut off then just kick right back in? thanks for the help.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:39 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I would try that too. Get some seafoam or mccc and suck up about 1/2 through the intake and dump the rest into the gas tank. You'll clean a lot of the intake area and fuel injectors doing this, not to mention the combustion chambers. If it's all of a sudden, I would suspect a clog myself and I think 99_avenger does too.
Our cars are old and the motor has seen quite a bit of carbon buildup and most likely has sediment buildup in the gas tank, I wouldn't doubt it being a clog. Of course the downside is that it could also be electrical, lol. Gotta start somewhere though, right?

Old 11-02-2006, 10:59 AM
99_avenger

yeah my done the same thing can t tell you how many races i lost lol right back and tell me if it worked

Quick Reply: SURGING PROBLEM