1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 12:38 PM
ladyavenger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure

Good day:

Noticed that the oil pressure needle in my 99 Dodge Avenger moves down closer to L when in idle. When I drive it moves up to the half way marker. I do not recall noticing this before. Is this normal? I thought that it should alway be in the middle. Does this mean that my engine is going up. Thanks!

Old 10-29-2006, 09:26 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: oil pressure

It's not what anyone ever wants to see happen, but it seems to be a normal occurrence as our cars get older with higher milage added on. Mine did the same thing. I can't tell you if it's because of the sending unit going bad or some sort of debris getting dislodged and partially blocking something. I changed my sending unit because after awhile it just died and my oil pressure gauge no longer moved.
Well, after I changed the sending unit, it still did what yours does now. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that you could possibley have debris blocking an oil passage, but you're going to be fine as long as you have pressure at idle and while driving. Just make sure the pressure doesn't go higher than normal.

Quick Reply: oil pressure