1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Engine + Wet = No Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 02:12 AM
Siradon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine + Wet = No Start

1999 Es coupe 2d, v6 2.5 liter automatic. got about 107k miles on her.

SHORT STORY - I've figured out that i cannot let my car sit for more than a day without driving it. Also it cannot sit outside when it is raining. If either happens it is a pain to try and start. I have to keep the key turned over for about 25 seconds or so before it will start. Usually it will result in my belt screeching like crazy for a few seconds. However, if i keep up with my car and keep it out of damp weather, it seems to be fine.

LONG STORY - About 2 months ago i went out to try and start my car for work but it wouldn't start. The key turned over and it did sound like it wanted to start, all the electrical battery type stuff worked fine. I replaced the battery anyways because it was old. The car still didn't start so i had it towed. Called a few garages who recommended that i try through the dealer. I don't like dealers because of previous experiences and this experience ended up no different. Basically the report i got back was that my engine was flooded so they had to "reset the adaptive memory". Well it started right up when i was there. Drove her home and to work the next day. Problem is that the 2nd morning i had it; it would not start again. Same problem, so i called the same people explaining that i have the same situation. They explained that their work was guarenteed and the guy on the phone couldn't stress enough that it had to be the same problem. I told him that it was the same problem because it had the same symptoms as the first time, and because i had picked it up only 2 days prior. So i had it towed etc. again, except this time i had the tow driver try to start it... and he couldn't get it going. for 5 minutes or so he tried. Anyways, the next day i got a call saying that when they went to look at it, it started right up. I went back to the garage for pick up and of course they nailed me with the tow charge, which i was really pissed about. So i argued with the manager for like 15 minutes about how i shouldn't be charged because they should've fixed it the first time. He argued with me that it is a recurring issue and that because they never added any mechanical parts, either time it was there, that its not their problem. Than he started asking me "what should we have done different". I gave him two answers - either
(A) fix the car because your a dodge dealer you claim to be experts on your website.
OR
(B) do not tell me the car is fixed when it clearly is not, like they did the first time i picked up.
He made it clear that i will have the same problems in the future with the vehicle. So i asked him "why the hell did you charge me the first time!?" This guy is going to sit there and tell me that my car will most definitly have the same problems in the future and that i will have to pay the tow everytime. He than replied that i have to pay the tow (would be my 2nd time remember) but that if i had a problem a 3rd time it would be free etc. Basically the manager hit me with a technicality, saying that they never added mechanical parts and because it was a recurring issue; that it was not their problem. Than he tried to sell me the we want to keep you as a customer bs and that just pissed me off more. In any case i payed it, because i do want my car. I do still have the same problems, cept now im about $350 short in a quick fix and 2 tows. Any other dealers storys and/or similar car issues?

Old 11-05-2006, 11:29 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine + Wet = No Start

Moisture sounds like it's getting on a sensor or relay. I would check your intake piping, firewall relays, check computer. Make sure water isn't getting onto anything in the motor area.
Does it react like this if you're driving in rain or after you start back up, say, after you've gone to the grocery store or whatever?
I would say that it's an electrical since it does this when moisture in the air.
On your firewall, there are 3-4 relays. Move them over to the right and the last one, put that in the first spot of course and see what happens. Those are your Fuel pump relay, ASD relay, EATX relay, and if you have a fourth...no one knows, lol.
Anyway, they are all physically the same, so you can swap them around. If one is bad, you can get replacements from Radio Shack. They are just 12 volt relays.

Quick Reply: Engine + Wet = No Start