1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 11:13 PM
sxemama
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP!

There is a Dodge Avenger for sale here locally. I believe it's a 99, leather/wood grain interior, automatic, body kit, custom wheels, lights and exhaust. Looks really good, but it has a little over 163,000 miles on it. I don't know much about Avengers, so is the mileage too high? He's asking $4,500, and he says he's put $6,800 of work into it. Also I had a mechanic drive it and he said it sounds like it's slipping, and there's a slight ticking noise under the hood, and that it may need cam work. The man selling it says it's just that he hasn't drove it in 3 weeks and the plugs are bad.

Advice? What's the price you'd pay for it?

Thanks

Old 11-06-2006, 02:35 AM
bgm
Default RE: NEED HELP!

the ticking should be the lifters, it happens i guess. the mileage is pretty high for a 99 i guess. as far as the slipping, i wouldnt know, could be the 604 striking again, you're probably paying more for the bells and whistles, and the fact that it seems to be an ES. it's not new, so it's expected to need some work, now it's up to you if you want to venture into it. i love my avenger, so hopefully you find out whats best for you

Old 11-06-2006, 03:02 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

KBB shows....
Excellent $4,930
Good $4,425
Fair $3,790

Me, I would only pay no higher than $3500 for a car that has tranny issues and no more than $4500 with the car in excellent condition. Excellent condition is what any car would look like being almost 7 years old with that many miles on it.
Keep in mind that since it does have tranny issues, I would say $2500. If the torque converter is going bad or the coilpacks, you're going to pay quite a bit of cash for it. Cars are also bought in "stock" condition because that what most of the estimates are taken from. Sadly, it does not matter how much work that guy has put into his car. If it is turbo'd and has all the supporting mods, then go for it and eat the tranny issue. The turbo and supporting mods will cost more than a tranny rebuild.

Oh yeah, I forgot the conditions...
Excellent
$4,930
"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work and is free of rust. The vehicle has a clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category.
Good
$4,425
"Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. There should be little or no rust on this vehicle. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail. Most consumer owned vehicles fall into this category.
Fair
$3,790
"Fair" condition means that the vehicle has some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and/or interior need work performed by a professional. The tires may need to be replaced. There may be some repairable rust damage.
Poor
N/A
"Poor" condition means that the vehicle has severe mechanical and/or cosmetic defects and is in poor running condition. The vehicle may have problems that cannot be readily fixed such as a damaged frame or a rusted-through body. A vehicle with a branded title (salvage, flood, etc.) or unsubstantiated mileage is considered "poor." A vehicle in poor condition may require an independent appraisal to determine its value. Kelley Blue Book does not attempt to report a value on a "poor" vehicle because the value of cars in this category varies greatly.
* Hawaii 11/5/2006

Old 11-07-2006, 11:57 PM
sxemama

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

If it is turbo'd and has all the supporting mods, then go for it and eat the tranny issue. The turbo and supporting mods will cost more than a tranny rebuild.
The thing is he tried to say the only reason why he was selling it is because he couldn't get it any faster, and that he couldn't put a turbo in it.. [sm=confused06.gif]