1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Manual Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 02:41 AM
gumpster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Transmission Question

Hello all. New here, my first post. I'm looking for info on what the recommended transmission fluid is for a 1997 Avenger with 5-speed manual. Seems like it is a dealer only thing. Also what transmission is in the 97 avenger? I'm new to this car and don't have a lot of experience with it.

From my search on autozone.com, they list two manual transmissions, first was a A578 and the other was a NVT350. From what I gathered online, the NVT350 requires a fluid from the dealer with part number 04874465. When I went to the dealer, they said they needed the VIN number to determine what transmission was in the car. Any of this make sense or is the parts guy at the dealer full of BS?

Any way for me to tell what trans is in the car? Casting numbers or something similar?

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 12-25-2006, 03:20 AM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker
Default RE: Manual Transmission Question

Yeah I had this prob also with the tech, he was sayin there are 3 diff types of fluids. How one trans allows you to just use motor oil, there is secrimesh (if I spelled that right) and sum other stuff where its half trans half motor oil.All I under stood was(give me your money sucka). And I called the dealer same as you and got the same questions IMO your don't need that dealer stuff unless you have and automatic.
In your owners manual in the back of the book there is all your specs. Next to mines readsManual Transaxle - 2.0 liters (2.1qts) Mopar MS9417 MTX Fluids P/N 4773167. All I got out of it was Manual tansmission X and it holds 2 bottles of what ever I pick. Try just showing thenumbern your bookto the tech at the shop. I just bought sum Royal Purple I think it was no more than $10 for 2 bottles it works great.

Old 12-25-2006, 04:24 AM
gumpster

Thanks for the reply. I'll write down that part number for when I go to the dealer. I've read lots of conflicting information about this subject. I don't have the owners manual. Any experts in the manual transmissions that were put in these cars out there? I'd like info on how many different types of 5-speeds were used and how to identify them.

Anyone know how to decode the VIN? I have a feeling the car I bought was originally an automatic and thus will not help the dealership determine what trans fluid to use. When I was replacing the lower control arms in the front, I noticed that there were some fabricated brackets holding the trans in.

Also found it interesting that there are three ball joints connected to the steering knuckle, two on the bottom and one on top. The brilliant engineer who designed this suspension should be made to pay for all the ball joint replacements we have had to endure. I also found that a "mechanic" used a torch to heat up some bolts to do some work on the front suspension ended up melting the right outer CV boot. So I got the opportunity to replace it too.

Old 12-25-2006, 07:31 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

They are as follows:
[ul][*]1st character- Identifies the country in which the vehicle was manufactured.
For example: U.S.A.(1or4), Canada(2), Mexico(3), Japan(J), Korea(K), England(S), Germany(W), Italy(Z)
[*]2nd character- Identifies the manufacturer. For example; Audi(A),
BMW(B), Buick(4), Cadillac(6), Chevrolet(1), Chrysler(C), Dodge(B),
Ford(F), GM Canada(7), General Motors(G), Honda(H), Jaquar(A), Lincoln(L), Mercedes Benz(D), Mercury(M), Nissan(N), Oldsmobile(3), Pontiac(2or5), Plymouth(P), Saturn(8), Toyota(T), VW(V), Volvo(V).
[*]3rd character- Identifies vehicle type or manufacturing division.
[*]4th to 8th characters- Identifies vehicle features such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc.
[*]9th character- Identifies VIN accuracy as check digit.
[*]10th character- Identifies the model year. For example: 1988(J), 1989(K), 1990(L), 1991(M), 1992(N), 1993(P), 1994(R), 1995(S), 1996(T),
1997(V), 1998(W), 1999(X), 2000(Y)------2001(1), 2002(2), 2003(3)
[*]11th character- Identifies the assembly plant for the vehicle.
[*]12th to 17th characters- Identifies the sequence of the vehicle for production
as it rolled of the manufacturers assembly line.
[/ul]
This is from http://www.autoinsurancetips.com/vin.htm

Old 12-28-2006, 04:30 AM
gumpster

Went with AMSOIL manual syncromesh 5W30. $7 a quart for amsoil. Dealership wanted $15 a quart for the NVT350 fluid. I'll take if for a spin tomorrow and see if there is any difference.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Question