1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Horribly Frozen Rotors! Carnage inside!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 05:22 AM
oilstain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horribly Frozen Rotors! Carnage inside!!!

Story first, then question:

So to pass inpsection I need to replace the front two brake rotors. Ok, no big deal. Remove tires, remove calipers, remove the bracket that holds the calipers. Hmm, both rotors are stuck. Ok, get a hammer and pound on the hats between each pair of studs... No go. Hmm, Haynes says to get bolts to thread into the rotors to push the rotor off the hub. Ok, run to HD and pick up some grade 8 bolts. Thread one, thread two, start cranking and pop! the threads rip out of the rotor on each one (bolts were fine though, good bolts) Ok, great. BACK to HD, buy a ten lb sledge. As my dad says "don't force it, just get a bigger hammer" BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM, nothing. I kept pounding until I knocked a little chunk off of one of the rotors, then gave up.

Next I'll try some anti-rust compound like PB Blaster, but supposedly way better (something soil I think, given to me by a friend) I would have done this from the start, but I didn't have any. When and if that doesn't work, I'll go BACK AGAIN to HD, and buy a torch and play with fire.

My question is did I miss something? Is there a set-screw or a hidden bolt that isn't shown in the book and that I missed? Any suggestions as to what to do besides what I have done and have planned? I'd like to get the hydraulic power of my cheapie floor jack involved, but I can't think of anything to wedge it to.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:29 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: Horribly Frozen Rotors! HELP!!

If there's rust around the inner portion of the rotors, chances are, you will need some PB Blaster or similar. Let it sit for several hours if it doesn't help after waiting for about 15 minutes. You may have to remove the old rotor in several pieces...there may not be any way around that.

Oh and welcome to DF bud

Old 02-05-2007, 09:28 PM
oilstain

Well, it took some serious force, as evidenced by the pic. The other one came off in one piece. I'm pretty sure I'll need an alignment now though! : -D

I used the Kroil stuff in the spray bottle there (sat for 4 hours or so)and the BFH and just wailed on it until something happened.

All that just to do brakes! Fun stuff!

Any ideas on how to cut the ring clamps offof the CV boot?

[IMG]local://upfiles/54016/475D593117FB4FAD825D766696E3E592.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-05-2007, 10:04 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I would go ahead and change out the wheel studs too, although, some of them look to be rusted onto the hub. It might be easier to just buy new hubs, lol. I haven't tried anything with the CV boots yet, so I can't comment on that

Old 02-05-2007, 11:07 PM
shnormo
Veteran

Why do you want to pop off that clamp? There is a special tool to take that out. If you're thinking about servicing them, it's more convienent and more practical to get new ones or rebuilt ones.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:55 AM
oilstain

Well, the cv boot is torn, and to pass inspection it needs to be replaced. I bought a split boot from RockAuto (highly recommended, great prices, fast shipping!) for $13. I doubt it would be more economical to replace a whole cv joint.

I just need to snip the metal bands to get the old boot off. Clean out joint, repack with grease and slip new boot on, plastic weld it, and clamp it down. The clamps that come with the replacement are pliers-operated, so no big deal.

Could you possibly point me to a link for this "special tool"? It basically has to be a big beefy front cutter, but I don't know where to get one. I may try to get my dremel in there, but it will be really tight.

Quick Reply: Horribly Frozen Rotors! Carnage inside!!!