1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

4G63

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Pisces
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4G63

Hi, i just bought a 1996 Dodge Avenger and i would like to know if the 4G63 from the Lancer Evolution will fit in the car or if only the 4G63 Of the Eclipse GSX will fit. Because as you can see the Lancer one have the cam gears on the left like de 420a (view from front) and the Gsx One Gears are on the Right (view from front)
420a (My original engine)
Lancer 4G63
Eclipse Gsx 4G63

Thank you ! See you soon!

Old 02-08-2007, 10:55 PM
blackvenge34
Veteran
Default RE: 4G63

i dont see y the evo motor wouldnt fit im not an expert but i think if you have the money anything is possible but my guess is silver would know best

Old 02-09-2007, 10:26 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Here's the thing. The 4g63 of the EVO won't fit. It's deck height is too tall and you'll have clearance issues under the car and from the hood, it's also a custom electronics job. The 4g63 of the Eclipse/Talon will fit though, since our cars and the Eclipse share the same unibody, no, it's not a direct drop in (but neither would the EVO's 4g63), but it will fit. The electronics is as simple as using the Eclipse's motor harness, dash harness, and ECU (it is a turbo ECU, where ours aren't).
Here's one thing to keep in mind, the orientation of the motor doesn't play a role in if a motor will work or not...it never has and never will. What does play a role in swaps is if you have something to manage the motor.....it's ECU or a stand alone like the AEM ECU. Just know that newer motors use computers to send the injectors a pulse and that info is sent from a Camshaft position sensor or Crankshaft (or both), which is then sent to the ECU, which takes into account it's air/fuel ratio, not to mention it's engine temp...blah, blah...
So you see, it's not just the motor that is needed, it's also it's control component and then other variables too.

It's much simpler to custom mount the Eclipse/Talon 4G63 into an Avenger than the EVOs 4G63. Not only that, but the older 4G63 has a lot of support for mods, so you can go fast all day long and keep up with the EVOs. The EVOs have an advantage around corners, but if you're looking at straight line racing...a built motor is a built motor...it's only limited to your funds.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:17 AM
blackvenge34
Veteran

huh i forgot about that with the clearance issue. now that u mention it i remember reading something bout that most likely in here lol

Quick Reply: 4G63