1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Recall (Ball Joints)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Funker22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recall (Ball Joints)

After reading the post on the forum about the recall on the ball joints, I inquired at a dealer where I live. They ran my VIN and booked me an appointment a week later to do the work. My question is, the reason I thought it was the ball joints is by cause whenever I would hit minor bumps, or some washboard conditions, or traintracks the front end seemed to really rattle and feel loose! I had my ball joints fixed a week ago and it feels a bit better, but I still find it quite loose. There's no play in the the steering, it seems fine. Has anyone else experienced this with their car? Anything else I should be looking for?

Old 02-09-2007, 05:30 PM
josef15111
Veteran
Default RE: Recall (Ball Joints)

Hey bud does it sound like something is really rattling like ummmm....... A shock or somthing is loose or a strut mount is bad and causing some rattle when you hit a bump?? mine is doing this also i have replaced upper balljoints lower recall ball joints new cv joints and new inner and outter tierods and it still is making the noise.. i was told by a mechanic that it was my sway bar links and my sway bar bushings. i will be replacing them when all this snow goes away and warms up just a bit more....

95 es

Joe

Old 02-09-2007, 10:34 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Here's the thing about the recall though, it only covers the lower balljoint that is attached to the curved arm. Any noises that you hear that come from the suspension could also be from the other balljoints in the car. For example, I have a balljoint type noise that came from my left side front. I just found out that I have a stripped nut that goes to the upper control arm. That's why my car would make noise going over bumps, turning, or anything else that may put stress on that balljoint. I'm just glad it didn't give way or that wheel would have been laying flat on it's face or worse.
Moral of the story is to check all your balljoint, just because they are still there and their boots aren't worn, doesn't mean that they aren't ready to be replaced. Most of them aren't replaceable by themselves either, most of them you have to replace the whole component...i.e, the upper control arm, the lower control arms.

Oh and check your inner and outer steering rods. The outer has a balljoint connected to it and the inner could be worn. Clanking or rattling from the suspension is not a good thing to have because it can cause you to lose control over your steering which can lead to something less than wanted.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Funker22

Thanks guys! I'm with Joe, before I do anything I have to wait until it warms up here. It's not in bad shape anyway, just one of those things you notice when it's your car. Two of my buds are alot more mechanically inclined at that stuff than I am which is nice. At least I'll be able to give them some ideas as to what other Avenger owners think might be the problem when I get them to look at it. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Recall (Ball Joints)