1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

i have to give props...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:13 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i have to give props...

to my Honda civic. as much as i love my dakota being my dd, my honda takes so much crap and keeps on going.
little background info on the car for those who don't know.
its a 2000 honda civic ex
with a smashed fender and only 100k miles on it.
regularly maintained(except the 100k mile tune up)

i beat the crap out of this car, and it still impressed me.

on a good road without potholes this car can take a turn at 40mph, with minimal body roll. for a 4cyl it puts people in their seats. people hate me because of this car(they like me for my truck).

its all pretty much stock.

right now it has a cracked exhaust manifold cracked from the upflow o2 sensor almost completly around. so i had it welded and the o2 sensor malfunctioned so when i went to replace it i found that the weld was cracked. it was triple welded which has me stumped. the old o2 sensor is scorched also.

is a cracked up cast iron exhaust manifold common on these cars? anybody know?

for the record i do not treat my truck like this...

just thought i'd let ya'll know.

oh and my coworkers try to tease me because i have a dodge and they like gm's, my replies are always the same, "atleast my truck ain't worthless in the snow without 4wd."...lol

Old 10-08-2010, 02:29 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That sucks. It is a common problem on any stock cast iron manifolds. I think its time for some headers.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:22 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cast metal is hard to weld, so its no surprise that the weld didn't take.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:04 PM
kikazzdakota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

headers can be bought on ebay for little cash comparitively to headers for a 318 =(

Old 10-09-2010, 12:42 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

it doesn't affect the performance on the car too badly. pretty much the car has a low idle. enough to rattle everything. i priced a new one and they want 389$(as much as my last ticket) for one. i'm thinking of going with headers from summit, but the only problem i would see coming up is that the car has to be able to pass emissions with this setup.

Last edited by shadowthedakota; 10-09-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:31 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

so i did some research and found out that only the 4drs and the canadian model honda civics had the cat in front of the motor with the manifold and the cat as 1 piece(expensive) and that the the coupes have the cat under the car. well i was at my favorite auto shop and there just happened to eb a 4dr civic on teh lift and the guys showed me a plug under teh center of the car where the 2nd oxygen sensor sits so the exhaust is interchangeable between the coupes and sedans. so instead of spending a whole lot on exhaust i found a coupe setup for the same motor size for $35 and am going to change out the exhaust. the only thing i need now is a cat for the car which will have to wait till i get my van

Quick Reply: i have to give props...