1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

hydraulic jack service?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 08:40 AM
89newbie
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydraulic jack service?

Any help appreciated on drain down and fill. Can not get it to work properly, hate to can it have had it fof 20 + years only added oil 1 time. Read the stuff online only basic stuff.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've only added fluid to mine. But I have taken out the screw that you drop down the jack with. Then pump slowly and add in fluid a little at a time, it sucks it in. I guess to drain it open it and see if you can pour it out or pump it up/down to drain it.

The bottle jacks are cheep now days. You can buy one at Walmart or most autoparts stores or tool stores for $15 or so.

Let us know what works.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:58 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i took the screw out by accident on mine once...oil started draining out so i put it back in real quick and only lost about a teaspoon of oil. the last on i had needed oil really bad. it kept coming down while i was working on the truck... i'm lucky enough that i fit under my truck when its not on the jack although i did get stuck under the honda once

Old 12-13-2010, 09:44 PM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
i took the screw out by accident on mine once...oil started draining out so i put it back in real quick and only lost about a teaspoon of oil. the last on i had needed oil really bad. it kept coming down while i was working on the truck... i'm lucky enough that i fit under my truck when its not on the jack although i did get stuck under the honda once
LOL undera honda can see thatnone, becha were thinkin need to work on higher ones.
Actually di what you guys said, did it before no problems. Did the same thing now and it wont jack, not a bottle jack big floor jack. Thanks forthe response.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:07 AM
DAKOTAJIM
Professional

Look for the manufacturer online and contact service department i'm sure they can help. If not then you surely got your moneys worth with 20yrs. of service and time to get Santa to get you a new one.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:28 AM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by DAKOTAJIM
Look for the manufacturer online and contact service department i'm sure they can help. If not then you surely got your moneys worth with 20yrs. of service and time to get Santa to get you a new one.
Agree on that one as far as 20 years is concerned. Not sure but it seems it was about $150, thats $75/yr or 7 bucks a month to have a great jack, cant complain at all. LOL mabyi should check with NAPA and see if there is any warranty left, rofl

Quick Reply: hydraulic jack service?