DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Dakota general discussion (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-general-discussion-150/)
-   -   Nothing better than peeling paint. (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-general-discussion/283940-nothing-better-than-peeling-paint.html)

T.C. 03-15-2011 07:06 PM

Nothing better than peeling paint.

1 Attachment(s)
Everyone who loved dodge musta loved that famous peelin paint, So if you had one of thoughs beauts show them off, before the repairin, and stand proud. :)

Attachment 68880

shadowthedakota 03-15-2011 08:16 PM

mines in my sig...its all scratched up and the paint is lifting off the roof

T.C. 03-16-2011 12:24 AM

Hahaha well it looks better than mine, you should see my truck now I redid the truck so its all black, and I drove through the car wash, never guessed the pressure can remove spots on my truck so it looks like a dalmation lol

shadowthedakota 03-16-2011 12:15 PM

lol mine used to be green with no rust but it was scratched and the paint was lifting off the roof. i had it painted and a year later it started rusting on the tailgate, the rockers rusted through(bout the size of a golfball then stopped), the paint lifted off the roof(again), i hit it with a snowblower so the bottom of the body is scratched up again... next time i paint a car i'm doing it myself...lol

92Dak4x4 03-16-2011 07:35 PM

hahaha man you know im proud of my baby.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...-the-right.jpghttps://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...a-paintjob.jpg

T.C. 03-17-2011 09:07 AM

Now that there truck is sexy lol, jeez you know I am probably the only one on this site who has a rusty dakota, oh well I blame the previous owners they never ever washed the truck; not once since owning it about 18 years ago. Though by spring time I can bust cut the sheet metal cutters and spray paint and she will look good as new.

JDakota92 03-18-2011 11:14 PM

Join the Mater club he he he
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...hoto0008-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5.../Photo0009.jpg

I lose probably 10% of the paint every time it goes through the car wash. I think my hood and possibly roof has been repainted because neither one is peeling.

T.C. 03-19-2011 09:37 AM

Ya I think mine is the same deal, good paint on roof and hood. Though the contrast of your paint peelin gives your truck of yours that distinct gentlemen look lol. Good job.

BlackKimera 03-19-2011 04:10 PM

I took a paint scraper, scraped it off the stripe, like on yours 92Dak4x4 and T.C.
It was like $3 at Checkers (O'Reilys) and then I four cans of Manufacturer-Matching paint in rattlecans from there as well, made sure to sand the primer down a bit, then repainted. Someone on here told me it would flake back off but I have had no problems so far and it's been almost a year. What's even funnier is we just used the free local paper and some cheap masking tape to mask off the silver. It cost about $30 to do this.
Beforehttp://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1471510_n.jpg

Afterhttp://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._3370261_n.jpg
the line of gray on the red below the back window is a scrape, not paint.

T.C. 03-21-2011 07:38 PM

Hahaha nice, ya well I did the extreme end of it and sprayed it all black but since being my first vechile I never knew that black flat paint loves dirt and mudd to stick on and has to been clean with soap and water, and when yet it looks clean lol. Nice post keep them coming.

BlackKimera 03-21-2011 11:56 PM

Dude I wish I had the black, the red is cool and I'll probably never get rid of it since that is the original color, but the black with silver is sweet. I have always been a fan of the 89 Dakota Sport Concept look

Bump 03-22-2011 06:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Same issue. Second I have had like this.

Attachment 68534

Attachment 68535

DarkKnite2009 03-27-2011 11:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mine looks like buckshot got a hold of it lol. soon hopefully it will be remedied

Attachment 68318
Attachment 68319

Bump 03-28-2011 09:45 AM

I like the light bar! :D Dont see mant of them, but I did see anothre truck the other day here in town with one too. Not a fan of the lights that came with it though...This body is too "square" to have round lights. Would like awesome if you put matching lights up there to the ones on the front.
BTW, what brand are those lights on the front?

Crazy4x4RT 03-28-2011 01:15 PM

I don't have peeling paint, but I do have chipping paint. When it was my dads truck 10years ago, he got it painted. It started chipping then he took it back a few weeks past the warranty. So the decided to repaint it but since it wasn't fully under warranty they did a cheep job.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...a/P3280001.jpg

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...a/P3280002.jpg

There are a few spots of bare metal around the truck. Thanks to living in the desert rust is never an issue. Here is just one of the bare metal spots, extremely light rust. It has been like that for years above 5 years and all I get is that little corner of light rust.
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...a/P3280004.jpg

Bump 03-28-2011 01:24 PM

Need to trim the 5.2 part off the bottom of that emblem... Just Sayin...

DarkKnite2009 03-28-2011 10:44 PM

bump,
imo, I actually really like the way the round lights look on the truck, its all personal opinion though. I do wish they put more then 2 on the bar from the factory. the lights on the front are the $20 blazers walmart driving lights. lol. i use them almost everyday so i didnt want to get something that was expensive to replace. eventually i am going to put 2 more lights up top and replace the 2 in the front with round lights.

Bump 03-29-2011 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by DarkKnite2009 (Post 2461915)
im..... its all personal opinion though......

Wrong. My opinion is the only one that matters!:icon_couch:

:cool: Just kidding. Looks good either way man!

DarkKnite2009 03-30-2011 05:43 PM

lol. thank you.

Georges96 03-30-2011 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I hate you guys and your rust free everything. Haha.

My hood is the only thing that has some clear missing.

The rest of the truck suprisingly shines up super nice.

Attachment 68170

shadowthedakota 03-30-2011 10:23 PM

the worst part of my truck used to be the rockers and wheel wells...that is till the hood tried to fly, lol

T.C. 03-31-2011 09:09 AM

Some nice pics there guys, unlike some of the people that posted here, I come from a magical place where rust happens on cars and trucks every winter and spring. I once took that truck of mine to a car wash and I was able to remove the paint on both sides of the truck, so all that was left was bare metal. Of course it started to rust everywhere so I manage to scuff that off and just spray paint the whole truck, except for the hood and roof. But that rust is tuff and it kept coming back. THough thats sorta what you get for buying the truck from people who have never washed it for all of the truck life.

DarkKnite2009 03-31-2011 05:37 PM

i actually do have rust on my truck.

T.C. 04-08-2011 09:37 AM

A past few days ago, I was driving through the city, when I came upon the best ever example of peelin paint for our trucks, the orginal paint was a red and white, but man I wish I got a pic of that beaut, big chucks of paint was peeling rate off, when that truck was driving it look like tassles on a motorcycle, flaring in the wiind. It was really cool and quite funny.

siggie30 04-09-2011 08:59 PM

I think every panel on my truck has copious amount of peel, except the replaced tailgate, but I dented that so it is even with the rest of the truck.

shadowthedakota 04-09-2011 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by siggie30 (Post 2474034)
I think every panel on my truck has copious amount of peel, except the replaced tailgate, but I dented that so it is even with the rest of the truck.

nothing like that magic touch to make everything match...

i have a mix... the body of my truck is black. the underside, the inside of the bed, the inside of the truck and the engine bay is green, and the drivers doord is silver. all i need is some bolts and i'll have frankentruck. and since the hood incident my hood and cowl are peeling...

T.C. 04-12-2011 09:15 PM

Ya, nothing beats having peeling paint like mismatching interior, luckily my interior is red, well faded red and I am going for a black/red look to it, its going to look sick.

marcar1993 04-16-2011 02:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I have no pics from before, but I did repaint my acclaim with rattlecans in a mad dash 2 day paint job. The roof, deck lid, tops of the 1/4s, hood, and tops of the doors were peeling, I still have some smaller sheets that came off stored....
So for $90 I got some paint, tape, sand paper, and a few news papers and knocked out a paint job from Friday evening to EARLY Sunday morning one March weekend a few years back. (With no sleep.)
Trust me it was worth it.

Here's what it looked like all done.

Attachment 67470.
Attachment 67471

I sold this car to by my Dakota. My paint job was apparently good enough the buyer didn't even know the car was painted until I told him and showed him. Many others never noticed til I told them either.

DarkKnite2009 04-20-2011 09:07 AM

ineresting.....

misfitdakota_95 04-20-2011 10:56 AM

Attachment 12733

Attachment 12737

Attachment 12738

Attachment 12739

sorry for the small pics, but I was trying to show my paint fading on the back of my cab, my clearcoat fading on the hood of my truck (caused by me at a self-serve car wash) and my cowl is rusted. Ironically, my 1995 Grand Cherokee has flawless paint, not even the clearcoat is peeling and the paint is still great with no dulling anywhere.

Georges96 04-20-2011 09:05 PM

I will give it to the florida guys.

You do have some odd rust places (At least to us mid-westerners)

Me and my buddy went to look at a '76 Thunderbird, from tallahassee, and it looked awesome. Until I opened the hood! The firewall/hood mounting area on the fenders, was totally rotted, but the quarters were clean. I've seen at least one other florida car with roof rot.

misfitdakota_95 04-21-2011 11:24 AM

roof rotting is very common here in Florida because the hot sun cooks clear coat and base coat in a few years, especially since we have 80 degree weather 9 to 10 months in a year. Rust also is very common on vehicles that are near coastal areas. I have a co-worker that lives in Daytona and he said when he moved here from Ohio, his Honda has more rust down here than when he lived up north.

DarkKnite2009 04-21-2011 06:54 PM

spch!!!!! over here in clearwater it gets into the hundreds broha. let me tell ya THAT SUCKS with the humidity mixed in.

Applehugger 04-23-2011 06:40 PM

It seems to me that truck owners don't typically take care of their paint as well as car owners. Fortunately, my truck's previous owner's were almost as anal about keeping their vehicles clean as I am. I don't have a single spot of clearcoat failure or peeling paint anywhere but the black bumpers (it's a Sport model.)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1461210099

shadowthedakota 04-23-2011 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by misfitdakota_95 (Post 2484408)
Attachment 12733

Attachment 12737

Attachment 12738

Attachment 12739

sorry for the small pics, but I was trying to show my paint fading on the back of my cab, my clearcoat fading on the hood of my truck (caused by me at a self-serve car wash) and my cowl is rusted. Ironically, my 1995 Grand Cherokee has flawless paint, not even the clearcoat is peeling and the paint is still great with no dulling anywhere.

you have a sunroof?! lucky bastard...lol i've never had that luxury...but now i'm going to install one on my new car...

DarkKnite2009 04-23-2011 11:20 PM

lol My wife and I are discussing a possibility of puting a full power sunroof on mine!

misfitdakota_95 04-25-2011 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota (Post 2487804)
you have a sunroof?! lucky bastard...lol i've never had that luxury...but now i'm going to install one on my new car...

Let me tell you, it's no luxury LOL! I am the 3rd owner of the truck and the first guy that had it installed it himself and did a horrible job. There's sealant all around the outside and inside of the truck because it leaked so bad. A buddy of mine referred me to a guy who does sunroofs and he told me it'll cost me $600 to redo it, more than half of what I paid for the truck. For now, I'll let it ride.

DarkKnite2009 04-26-2011 09:03 AM

lol Damn that sucks!!!! i actually see that alot around hear. people are just too cheap to fix what needs fixing.

T.C. 05-06-2011 10:03 AM

See what does us in for up in canada with the rust isn't the heat or humidity, but salt for winter. Its like 2 pounds of salt for 1 pound of ice, and since we get winter for best part of the year it accumulates to alot of salt. I redid my front bumper and put that rust off paint and stuff, and it still manage to get a little rust on though only surface rust so I am happy, it can be taken off easy. :D

DarkKnite2009 05-07-2011 06:39 PM

lol damn well atleast your battling it. most people just say screw it around here and let it go till it cant ever be fixed again.