1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Custom Center Console [87'-96']

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 04:14 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Custom Center Console [87'-96']

I recently put some BWM seats in my Dakota and want a center console to match the leather. The BMW center console was too wide and not adaptable enough, I do not have much room between these seats now. I can't have too long of a console either because I am putting a sub woofer enclosure behind the seats. One of the things I need is a good hand brake handle on the drivers side of the console...I'm going to move it off the floor pedal so I can have some fun with it (exp after the rear drum-to-disc conversions).
Name:  IMG_0417.jpg
Views: 7447
Size:  99.3 KB

This is the dash before I started converting it to grey with wood grain, I'm going to have to build a wood frame no matter which console I choose but depending on the console I can either attached/go in under the ash tray (cut out those purposeless vents) or remove the ash tray all together with and go right from the bottom of the radio bezel part of the dash:
Name:  IMG_9021.jpg
Views: 1684
Size:  69.5 KB

I looked at tons of cars in the junkyard, VW's were the only cars with universal leather center consoles that were small. I found this Golf3 center console that is in rough shape but I can always narrow it down to a specific model hunt once I know what I want:
Name:  IMG_0999.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  65.1 KB

I think it is missing an arm rest which would be nice to have in my truck, just a small one:
Name:  IMG_0989.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  91.3 KB

Two cup holders and a small compartment behind them, talk about how s***ty the Dakota cup holders are! It has a reasonably universal taper in the front IMO and would fit to or into the Dakota lower dash, can be cut if necessary. I will be dropping a 5-speed in my truck so I will have to see how close the shifter would line up then use something like an aftermarket Hurst shifter boot:
Name:  IMG_0988.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  88.4 KB

Then there is the newer Passat console that is a little larger and might just barley fit if raised above the seats, there is some wasted space with an unnecessary ash tray and cigarette lighter:
Name:  IMG_1002.jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  90.7 KB

Problem is the arm rest is probably too long and would need to be shortened, especially with a sub woofer enclosure:
Name:  IMG_1001.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  49.9 KB

The benefits I see in this console are removing the ash tray and lighter for a greater moment area for the truck shifter and again use a Hurst universal boot and plate, the console could be raised up much higher:
Name:  IMG_1005.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  73.5 KB

Old 05-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Motorcharge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I planned on making one after I put in my Cherokee seats, but I found it would muffle the sub too much/more than I wanted after the sub box had to go between/behind the seats.

(and yes I seriously regret putting the amp there, burns the **** out of my arm if I put it too far back when I'm putting my seatbelt on.)

I converted an ammo can into a lockbox for the armrest portion.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-write-up.html

I'd planned on using that on top of the sub box and putting the sub box between the seats, but it didn't work out so I ended up putting it on the trans tunnel. If I'd had a 10" sub it would have worked.

Just something to think about.

Also Cherokees and Dakota are a very, very similar width and interior. A console from one might do really well in a Dakota.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:55 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

lol well first off this is what I did, get rid of that centered sub. Send this guy "HexiBase" the dimensions of your cabs interior and $50 and he will engineer you a tuned box (he REALLY engineers it). I have one large box 4 feet wide but only 10" tall with two 6"-6.5" woofers right next to each other behind one seat...it will sound like you have a really nice 12" in there.

You may not be able to do this with your amp but mine has two internal fans so I mounted it flat against the cab wall behind the passenger seat, the seats are wired to the ignition through a dummy switch so you can move my seats which makes it literally impossible to seal my amp which is bolted down with special security screws that have been filled with epoxy and need to be drilled out in order to use the special security screwdriver lol

Name:  IMG_0324.jpg
Views: 2487
Size:  132.0 KB

SO I have the entire center free, that is a neat concept with the ammo box good for a 4x4. The Jeep center consoles are not "sporty leather" which is the look I'm after (I'm trying to make my truck handle like a sports car including the feel of the hand brake positioning). Also the GolfIII console is missing a mini arm/elbow rest.

Name:  IMG_0825.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  185.5 KB

Last edited by pinkfloydeffect; 05-24-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:42 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool, looks good so far. I'm interested to see how it comes out.

I just doing a bucket seat swap with a center console install in my truck. I thought about building a lockbox setup with an arm rest ect, but I don't have the time to put in it. So for the stock style one will work for now anyways.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...with-pics.html

Old 05-25-2012, 01:04 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

I thought about using a stock center console like yours, but as you can see I go all out or don't bother lol. Plus Dakota consoles do not have a hand brake which is a huge factor in my swap, I want to be able to play with my truck and slide around with an e-brake at the hand.

-Luxury Sports Truck-

Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Motorcharge
Professional

The box I built is literally the smallest it could possibly be for the sub to fit in it. I tried an angled box to fit lower behind the passenger seat but it just wouldn't work. I'm likely cutting the rear of the cab and bed out soon anyway so it'll end up being a non-issue. I'd planned on mounting mine the same way but where it is seemed easier, but I sisn't realize how hot the thing got, much hotter than the one I had before.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:20 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

I have decided to favor the Golf MK3 center console for several reasons but here is one, the cup holders can be replaced with a 7" touchscreen PC monitor here are 2 examples (plus my Dakota already has 2 cup holders):
Name:  47b2eb43-4c70-a697.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  19.1 KB

Name:  43444202.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  86.6 KB

Old 12-19-2012, 08:57 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

FINALLY! I located a Golf center console on Craigslist just needs to be cleaned up really well:
Name:  IMG_2552_zps96b68f01.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  75.9 KB

Just a mock up fitting, still needs to be cleaned thourally it fits perfect with my BMW seats!
Name:  IMG_2563_zps48c730ab.jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  490.5 KB

I can now see it's a bit faded in comparison to my seats, the handbrake leather will be resewed/replaced. The extra storage will be nice plus lots of room for under the entire console for electronic goodies and devices:
Name:  IMG_2561_zps5b2aab2d.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  686.5 KB

It fits perfectly under the factory ash tray an area can easily but cutout to butt the two:
Name:  IMG_2558_zpsbc2b2db6.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  455.7 KB

Old 12-20-2012, 01:30 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

Dang that is a good fit! You actually replacing the holders with a screen? If your wanting sports car you could always do guages there as well like a camaro. If I wasn't hellbent on having my split bench for usability I would be doing the same thing as you lol.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:55 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

I would rather put any accessory gauges where my head unit is NOW since I won't be needing one, plus it will be higher in the dash more visible. It is a very good fit I looked through a LOT of vehicles after I installed the BMW seats lol they even make an aftermarket Golf arm rest that is raised more in the rear of the console I can add to this.

Quick Reply: Custom Center Console [87'-96']