1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

A little update...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 12:10 AM
ZackN920
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little update...

Well, I'm not DEAD!!! and neither is the 27 y.o. truck
But... the truck hasn't been registered for road use since march of '13. I ended up buying an '01 Jeep Cherokee in March last year. That's been the dd. Also baught a '94 GMC Suburban that has essentially taken the Dakota's duties and dirty work. I had it for sale but had no interest. It's still technicly for sale but i'm not too interested in giving it up, especially since I finally got a 318 for pretty cheap. Been gathering parts for that and doin some work on the truck. Finally took all the stupid crap off this summer(bug guard, running board set, grab handles, topper). Also painted the hood and roof because it was peeling and surface rust was forming. I'm slowley getting parts for the 318 and future swap. Still need some stuff.

The years unfortunaly haven't been the kindest to it. It looked great when I got it but after a year or two it started to show it's true colors. Lot's of shoddy body work... Along with the last winter I drove it, it gained a nice dent in the front bumper. Front wheels locked up in a turn on fresh snow and slid into a tree.It wasn't that bad bad though. Some of the idea's I had when I was 16, now those were bad. I read an ooolldd post here with me having an idea of setting up a turbo system for it. Talk about a stupid idea.lol
Well, here's a few pics:
Name:  101_3072_zps6a9085ff.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  155.3 KB
Name:  101_3071_zpsf90e59ac.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  149.4 KB
Name:  101_3323_zps47e8cc9e.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  155.3 KB
Name:  101_3344_zps5cdb3166.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  135.4 KB
I need to take a few newer photo's. I put more layer's of paint on the roof and hood a week or so after that last pic of the truck.

Anyway's how have some of you guy's been? How are ya, Crazy, 95SLT,and Shadow!!! How's the rest of y'all that were around back when I was last here in ?2011? Seen that 95SLT has really beefed his truck up quite a bit, and I don't remember Crazy having that solid axle up front either...

Old 09-28-2014, 08:53 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see youre still around. Sorry I haven't been on in a while. I've been busy working 250 miles away from where I live and don't have interwebs up in the northwoods. I scrapped my truck a few days ago because the frame got bad and the trans was on its way out. I bought an 87 suburban sitting on 35s and I also have a car because driving 250 miles one way is a killer on the wallet. It sacked when I scrapped the truck because we had some lugs let go on the highway with trailer in tow and my friend watch his tire race the truck down the road. Thankfully it didn't hit anyone and that we also didn't crash.

Last edited by shadowthedakota; 09-28-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:49 AM
ZackN920
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Shadow, cool to see your still around! Nice avatar! Don't be sorry for not being around. I havn't been on for like 3 years. Crappy loading, crappy computer's, and general loss of interest I guess are my reasons...
Sucks to hear that ya scrapped your truck. I keep getting told that's what I need to do, but mines not bad yet! Still solid and reliable, just looks kinda bad. '87 Burb on 35's huh that must look sweet. I wonder how well it gets around offroad, with how long they are...
It sucked when I scrapped the truck because we had some lugs let go on the highway with trailer in tow and my friend watched his tire race the truck down the road. Thankfully it didn't hit anyone and that we also didn't crash.
Oh my GOD!!! That would of been a hell of a thing to see!!! You guy's had some luck there.
Hey, I noticed your stats on the top right of your post say's you have/had a 1991 4X4 3.9 Dakota, but I thought you had a '91 2X4 5.2 Dakota???

Old 10-03-2014, 11:32 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 93 2wd v8 but I sold it and later on I bought that 91 for $500. Then the frame went so patched it then the trans and then the pcm so I swapped a 94 driveline (same mileage) in then the trans went out again so I scrapped it. I miss my 93 though. It was a fun truck and last I heard it had almost 300k on it. I sold it with 242k on the clock.

The burb does pretty good off road with super swampers. I need to fix the steering as it can't make a right hand turn to save itself.

Last edited by shadowthedakota; 10-03-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: A little update...