1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

How do I remove the heater/AC control panel to replace the bulb behind the controls?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 12:49 PM
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I remove the heater/AC control panel to replace the bulb behind the controls?

At present, I have the dash bezel off and the screws that go to the AC / heater controls out. I can pull it forward a couple of inches but can't see what's preventing it from coming out, nor am I sure how to get back there.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:12 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

It make take a bit of juggling to get it out.

I've attached a PDF of the proper page from my 1988 FSM; I'd highly recommend you obtain the FSM for yours also.

There's also the release of the temperature control cable; that's the second PDF attached. You may notice from the page numbers that no, they're not in the same section. That'd be too much like right.

RwP

Attached Files
Old 06-09-2018, 11:14 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

But let me add ... pull the two ***** off (blower speed and temp) CAREFULLY.

You will then see about six tabs (IIRC) around the front, ease them loose and pull the front forward. They will be two or three across the top, same across the bottom and one on each side. (I don't remember for sure, it's been a few years since I did mine.)

With that, you can use needle nose pliers down into the bay and pull the lights then reinstall the replacements. They will be #74 bulbs.

Your factory bulbs may not be removable like that, alas. Mine were, but mine were in a 1988 also.

This helps you if you're using LED replacements (hint: WARM WHITE due to having red and blue both!) so you can verify they're polarized correctly.

Push the cover back on until it clips into place; then push the two ***** back on. You may want to take a picture to make sure you don't plug them on upside down.

RwP

The following users liked this post:
Ourgoo (06-29-2020)
Old 06-09-2018, 11:23 PM
Rookie

Thanks!

Old 06-09-2018, 11:26 PM
Rookie

I might want to add, the frustrating thing is the heater/AC lights work good except for one, which appears to have a loose or dirty connection. Usually IT stays out, but sometimes if I tap on it with a solid object it will come on, at least until the next time I go over a bump in the road or something then it goes back out again.

Quick Reply: How do I remove the heater/AC control panel to replace the bulb behind the controls?