1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

low idle speed at operating temp

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 09:01 PM
rgvsmokey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low idle speed at operating temp

Hey folks , new member here hoping to pick your brain trust. I have a '96 Dak with a 3.9 v6. Standard trans 2wd. I can't get it to idle once it warms up. When cold it starts and idles about 800 to 900 rpm but as it warms up the idle gets lower and lower til its down around 300 rpm. If you raise press the throttle and raise the rpm then let it drop on its own the motor dies. The only way it will resart is if you keep your foot on the throttle and keep the rpm's up yourself. Fuel pressure is 45 to 50 psi. I replaced th IAC and no help. I've checked for vac leaks it actually idles better with a vac hose off. It does not have any trouble codes. Little truck runs good other than the problem explained above. Could it be the air intake temp sensor or maybe a funky MAP sensor? I sure hate to keep throwing parts at this thing til something sticks. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-08-2007, 01:42 AM
codydakota
Captain
Default RE: low idle speed at operating temp

Sounds like a problem i had with the Throttle Position Sensor on my '92 Sundance, if it isn't that it's a sensor of some sort

Old 04-09-2007, 03:55 PM
rgvsmokey
Default RE: low idle speed at operating temp

Thanks , I'll see if I can track down the specs for the throttle position switch and check it out.

Quick Reply: low idle speed at operating temp