1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

90 Dodge Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 12:45 AM
cj1048
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 Dodge Dakota

Can anyone tell me what to check next?? My headlights, and brake lights and parking lights went out, I just went to turn them on and have nothing, I checked all fuses and they are all good what do I check next.I have turn signals and flashers but that is all.. I am Desprate they want 69.00 just to check it out and that don't count fixing whatever they say is wrong, I was told this is a good forum to get some help in Pleaseeeee.
cj

Old 04-08-2007, 04:53 PM
codydakota
Captain
Default RE: 90 Dodge Dakota

Did you check the fuses and relays under the hood? Did the brake lights go out or the taillights? If it's brake lights check the switch. Check all of the connections that go to the heads and parks, a truck that old could have some corrosion in the splices, also check the switch itself, could have a bad headlamp switch, it's fairly easy to get to.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:14 PM
cj1048

YES WE REPLACED ALL FUSES CLEANED ALL CONNECTIONS, MY HEADLIGHTS, PARKING LIGHTS AND BRAKE LIGHTS WENT OUT ALL AT ONCE. THE THING I DO NOT UNDERSTAND IS THE BRAKE LIGHTS GOING OUT TOO. NOW WE ARE REPLACEING ALL BULBS, WE ALREADY REPLACED THE SWITCH. THIS THING HAS GOT ME PUZZLED. I HAVE TURN SIGNALS AND FLASHERS BUT THAT IS IT NO PARKING, HEAD, BRAKE OR DASH LIGHTS AT ALL.
ON THE FUSE BOX ITS SELF ON THE TOP THERE IS A BIG BLACK THREE PRONGED SOMETHING AND ON THE BOTTOM THE FLASHER CAN SOMETHING WAS IN THE MIDDLE THEN THE TURN SIGNAL FLASHER WHAT WAS IN THE MIDDLE?? DO YOU KNOW??

Old 04-08-2007, 08:59 PM
cj1048

ok I think it is time to take the thing to a shop I have replaced the switch, all fuses, relays, circuit breakers I give up thanks for all your help anyway

Old 04-08-2007, 10:08 PM
codydakota
Captain

I just went out and took a look at my '95, between the two flashers I have a horn relay and a time delay relay, (white boxand silver circlerespectively)

When you say you replaced the switch, you mean the headlamp switch or brake lamp switch? It's possible you have two problems going at the same time. The brake lights are not in the same loop as the heads/parks/ins, so it doesn't make sense, I'm puzzled too.

Also found fuse 13 pink gets power from fuse 8 yellow
Fuse 8 is the headlamps and 13 is the inside lights, so the inside lights provide for the outside lights

Check continuity from A to B on all applicable wires
For example from headlights to the switch, headlights to power source, etc. Wires may look good, but the inside may be broken. Doesn't sound like a bad bulb issue to me

Old 04-09-2007, 02:11 AM
cj1048

I CHANGED THE HEADLIGHT SWITCH, TOMORROW I WILL CHECK THE BRAKE SWITCH I HAVE NOT DONE THAT YET WE HAVE STARTED TO CHECK THE WIRES WILL FINISH IT TOMORROW. I AGREE IT SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT OUT HEADLIGHTS, DASHLIGHTS, PARKING AND BRAKES ALL AT THE SAME TIME.. QUESTION ON THE FIREWALL ON THE PASSERGER SIDE UNDER THE HOOD IS A LARGE RELAY OF SOME KIND WHAT DOES THAT GO TO IT TRACES INTO FIREWALL INDASH ON PASSENGER SIDE. IT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS A BAD WIRE ON IT JUST WONDERED WHAT IT GOES TO. AND IT IS KIND OF RUSTY SINCE IT DOES NOT HAVE THE COVER ON IT.. BY THE WAY YOU ARE HELPING A 59 YEAR OLD WOMAN WHO WAS AN OLD SCHOOL MECHANIC. THESE NEWER CARS AND TRUCKS JUST PUNISH MY OLD BRAIN SOMETIMES.. I DON'T MEAN TO SOUND SLOW BUT AT LEAST I AM TRYING. I HAVE CHANGED ALMOST EVERYTHING BUT THE BRAKE SWITCH AND THE WIREING HARNESS LOL.. I CHANGED EVERY FUSE, FLASHER, RELAY AND CIRCUIT BREAKER I COULD FIND. I CLEANED ALL CONNECTIONS.. THEN CHANGED OUT THE LIGHT SWITCH.. BEGINING TO THINK IT IS IN THE HARNESS OR THE DIMMER SWITCH THAT IS ON THE COLUM FOR THE STEERING WHEEL.. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP..

Old 04-11-2007, 03:58 PM
cj1048

OK CHECKED FOR POWER TO THE FUSE BOX AND 5 OF MY FUSES HAVE NO POWER MOST OF WHICH DEAL WITH MY LIGHTS.. WHAT DO I CHECK NEXT?? THERE IS A POWER RELAY ON THE PASSENGER SIDE FIRE WALL UNDER THE HOOD COULD THAT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT?? IT HAS LOST IT'S COVER AND IS RUSTY!!

Old 04-12-2007, 09:45 PM
codydakota
Captain

I tried to help, sorry none of it actually was of any help to you, I posted a thread on Dodgetalk titled problem w/ a '90 Dakota, but got no bites, I saw you posted a thread and I think you got 3 or 4 referring to a fusible link if you haven't read the replies you got on DT.
Yeah, I'm a 21 year old man so all I know is this new stuff, although I have learned alot from my Dad whom is also old school, he's been a mechanic for 45 years (he'll be 65 this year).
Don't worry about whether you sound slow or not (and you don't, so you have nothing to worry about ). We all need help with something down the line. Sorry I couldn't be of more help though.

Oh that relay you are talking about is like that on mine, I don't think it's anything to worry about, I use mine to help power my CB.

Oh, and 59 is not old -- it's the new 30

Old 04-13-2007, 02:40 AM
cj1048

Thank you very much you was a big help and I am sorry I cound not figure it out but you know what I am still trying I refuse to give up so if you hear anything let me know and Thanks again for all help.
cj

Old 01-20-2008, 03:09 PM
dakdod

Through the search I found this thread. I have the exact problem. 1990 Dodge Dakata 3.9L withno headlights, running lights, and brake lights. All went out at the same time. I do have dome, hazard, and blinker lights. The fuses are good and I replaced the headlight dash switch, which did not fix the problem. I am hoping that someone has a solution or something to try.
Thank you,

Quick Reply: 90 Dodge Dakota