1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

couple questions on '92 dakota

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 04:12 PM
jeruhme
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple questions on '92 dakota

ok let me start with some background info ... i just recently purchased a '92 dakota 4x4 with only 59k miles. i'm the 2nd owner and it was previously titled to a small company. i was told it sat more than it was driven. i'm not much of a 'gearhead' persay but i do understand some basics because my father is and he's the one that got me into dodges.

but my first question is this. when i put it in drive and start off, it sounds like it hesitates to shift. it does this usually only thru the first cycle of the gears and then shifts smoothly thereafter. i briefly drove my fathers '92 ram 4x4 a few months back and it appeared to do the same. now is there something wrong with the tranny or is it something common with '92 4x4's or just something to do with the tranny needing a little warming up?

now my 2nd question is i've noticed when i stop quickly or make a sharp left turn, it stalls out. i mentioned this to my g/f's brother who said it could be a clogged fuel filter and that i may need to replace it. then i mentioned it to a guy i work with and he said because it sat more than it ran, it could just be gummed up a little and fuel injector cleaner may do the trick.

i just wanted to know some thoughts/opinions. thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/62871/DD07240C3988445BA6EA40ED25667B2D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-15-2007, 05:21 AM
peckens
Professional
Default RE: couple questions on '92 dakota

go to your local auto parts store and get some Sea Foam about $5 a can, and run it through your fuel system. There are instructions on the can.
[align=center] [/align]

Old 05-15-2007, 11:46 AM
fishlessman
Professional
Default RE: couple questions on '92 dakota

my low milage 89 stalls out like that when the tank is down to about 2.5 gallons, probably the intake has either lifted off the bottom or is partially clogged. bet that tranny fluid has never been changed, mine ran bettter once it was, i dont know when they stopped marking the dipstick with the atf 2 fluid marking, mine is supposed to run on atf3 or 4, the stick is marked wrong, its much smoother with the atf 4

Quick Reply: couple questions on '92 dakota