1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

can i resurface this??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:45 PM
discoinferno65
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i resurface this??

so i am replacing piston rings and what not in my truck and i noticed that the bearings where the camshaft sits (the main bearings i think are what the top ones are called and the bottom ones i am unsure of the name) are damaged but the scrapes don't look deep. is there some sort of tool i could perhaps hook to a drill or impact wrench or somethin that resurfaces this area or do i have to get a whole new head and main bearings?

Old 06-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: can i resurface this??

The crank shaft sits on the main bearings, which is probably what you are talking about if you aretaking the pistions out, but it would be better to go ahaed and put new bearings in it because those are very important to your engine running right, they are not too expensive either.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:34 PM
injmopar
Veteran

I think he has a 4 cyl. Witch has the cam running right in the head. There are no bearings.Sometimes it just cheaper to get a rebuilt head

Old 06-19-2007, 04:15 AM
discoinferno65

yah i got a 4 cylinder which is no help on a dodge forum cuz its a mistubishi motor but yah there are no bearings there but i think i'm going to look into a rebuilt head at my local junk yard and run this little four cylinder into the ground long enough hopefully for me to save up enough for a v8 diesel to drop in it and switch it all to four wheel drive!!!

Quick Reply: can i resurface this??