1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

3.9 performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 02:29 AM
dcbarnes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.9 performance

What can I do to my 93, 3.9 to wake it up? I've read other posts about all this awsome power coming from a v-6 but mine still reminds me it's a v-6 evry time I step on the gas.
What can I do to increase the performance? The engine I put in only had 20,000 miles on it and I checked it out very well before I put it in so it should still be fresh.
I'm wondering if I should have gone with the small block v-8 but I wasn't sure it would bolt up to the tranny. It's a 93 4x4.
thanks

Old 08-20-2007, 02:23 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: 3.9 performance

I have a v8 so im not to sure on everything for the v6 but I do know that is a 5.2 with two cyl. cut off. I know if you put a v8 throttle body will increase some airflow. you can try thottle body spacer k&n air filer. Flowmaster exhast or similer headersI belive the coil and plugs will work from a v8 so get high energy output coil and good wires and plugs. if you want to spend some more put higher fuel injectors there around $70-90 each. Mopar does sell high performace computer. there is jet plug in performace inhancers. there is always the engine too bore it out and deck the heads and block. but its still got low miles. try Summitracing.com or jegs.com they can get you anything you want. good luck.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:16 PM
put it to the floor

i have a 94' dakota with the 3.9 in it ran horriblei have replaced air filter, sparkplugs, muffler,ditributor cap and rotor it helped but it wasn't great. i brought to get a tune up and it is like a whole new truck. and now it spins so easily even when i don't try to. try a tune up

[/align]

Old 08-23-2007, 01:11 AM
Nicegy525
Veteran

ORIGINAL: put it to the floor

i have a 94' dakota with the 3.9 in it ran horriblei have replaced air filter, sparkplugs, muffler,ditributor cap and rotor it helped but it wasn't great. i brought to get a tune up and it is like a whole new truck. and now it spins so easily even when i don't try to. try a tune up

[/align]
what? My understanding is that exactly what you did before itgot a "tune-up", is exactly what a tune up is!!! What exactly did they do to give it a "tune-up"

Quick Reply: 3.9 performance