1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

R134 Recharge and a new/used gas tank.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 01:52 PM
JohnTheodore
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R134 Recharge and a new/used gas tank.

ok, there was something wrong with my blower motor. It didn't work, it was stuck somehow, so I bought a new one from pepboys for $40 USD, and it works fine now. But I need an R134 recharge, I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota Sport, 3.9L 4WD with 100k miles. Where do I do the R134 recharge..does anyone have a picture of what I hook up to where?

Also.. my fuel gauge doesn't work...I tried fuel system cleaner several times. I was thinking to buy a used tank at a junk yard, and pay to have it cleaned out, and then install that. What do you guys think? Is ther ean alternative method that is cheaper/better?

Regards,
John

Old 09-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: R134 Recharge and a new/used gas tank.

Okay I have a 93 it origanly came with r12. I belive they changed in 95 to 134a. you first want to check which one you have. okay there is 2 valves. 1 high and 1 low. the high is on one of the pipes that comes from the conderser which is on the otherside of the firewall and goes to your compressor. the low is on the compressor right behide the serpentine belt. If your doing it your self with a hose that you can by you want to use the low side. The can has the instructions on it. If your system is r12 you will need to convert it over to 134a. you can keep it r12 if you can find a can and if its cheep enough. Its simple to convert it too. If i can take pictures I will.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

The blue cap is the low side. The red cap is the high side.

[IMG]local://upfiles/70180/D90FFBC171544AF2A25332FC84B7B4DB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/70180/87914CEAD6584AA6AFFA2D976AE3FA4B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-03-2007, 07:08 PM
JohnTheodore

hmm, I think both my caps are black. I took off some black cap, on some metal piping, that went to this black thing near the resistor for the blower motor. And I put it until the gauge was almost at "alert", but the air doesn't seem any more cold. I had the engine on, and the AC/Blower on full blast.
I don't seem to have a blue cap anywhere, I didn't see one.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:12 PM
JohnTheodore

I don't know what the "evaporator" or "compressor" looks like. This is what makes it confusing, there are instructions, telling me what to put where etc, but I don't know what these objects look like. I don't have any reference. I checked your pictures, and compared it to my truck.. My components under the hood seem to be in slightly different places, there is a black cap attached to what I think is the compressor, but this fitting on the can doesn't attach to that. It's not the right size, but this can fits onto the valve on the piping that goes near the edge of the vehicle, it goes near where the resistor is.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:13 PM
JohnTheodore

After I fill up, should the black cap be very difficult to take off? I took it off before and it was relatively easy, but now it is very difficult to get it off. Is there pressure built up? Don't you need to have that pin pushed in for the air to come out.. pressure can't be built up on the cap can it?

Old 09-03-2007, 07:38 PM
JohnTheodore

nevermind, black cap came off, it's in the yellow on the gauge for "alert", it's about 55+ PSI. but there isn't cold air, it's just the same temperature as the air outisde, something isn't working, or I didn't do it right I guess.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:58 PM
iraqvet
Professional

If your truck has factory R134 ports, they should be different sizes and only the low side will fit the R134 charging hose. There is a schrader valver (similar to a tire valve) holding back the pressure....you do not need to push on the valve for any reason...the charging hose will open the schrader when you attach it. If the cap will not come off my hand, get a pair of pliers and get it off...if ther is pressure under the cap, you have a leaking or loose valve. try this link for some pictures on te AC system..
http://www.sadik.net/nissan/howto/ac_r12.htm

Old 09-03-2007, 08:04 PM
iraqvet
Professional

On your fuel guage, find the wire going to the fuel sending unit at the top of the fuel tank. Remove the wire (should just one wire by iteslf) and ground it to a clean part of the frame with the ignition on (not running)....if the fuel guage goes to the full mark, then the sending unit is probably bad.....if the fuel guage doesn't move it's probably the guage itself.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

okay mine was converted to 134a. so thats why the colors are differnt. The hose you bought will only fit the low pressure conector. It will snap in like a air hose fitting if you used one. just pull the sleve back and push in. then release the sleve. The compressor isa pump. it is attached to the belt.(its theone in my picture with the blue cap on it, the hole entire thing.) the condensor is like a raidator for the ac system. It is in front of the raidator. now as for the size of the valve that does not fit, it is posible that it is the r12 system. I would say talk to autozone pepboys or some parts store and make sure you have 134a system from factory first. As for the gas tank problem, most dakotas i have known have a problem with them. I would first checkthe wires to the fueltank make sure there okay. if you know howtouse a meater check for power. there is a wireing diagram on 1st gendakFAQ.if the wires are goodbuy a new sending unit. I bought mine for $190 I belive. It comes with the gage sensor and fuel pump. You will ether have to take off the bed or take off the gas tank to get to it. Do not buy one from the junkyard. its too much of a risk if its going to work on you correctlly and last too. the last thing you would want is the fuel pump die when you cant get back home. Its cheep insurence.

Quick Reply: R134 Recharge and a new/used gas tank.