1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:41 PM
fastlil318
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb

I have a 93 dakota sport 2wd 318. I was wondering if anyone has gotten rid of the EFIand run a carb? And yes i allready know the efi system is more economical and i don't care!!!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: carb

Well I appreciate the uniqueness of what you want to do. Ihave seen carb intake manifolds for the magnum engines at jegs.com summitracing.com even Moparperformance.com as for carbs I dont know what to suggest, but there are alot of choises out there. And as far as the ignition I think they sell set ups for the stand alone ignition systems. I know the fireing order is the same as chevy so maybe the ingition box will work. just check on the distributers. Maybe if you can find a carb set up for the older magnum engines might be the best thing to do.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:09 PM
injmopar
Veteran

The efi system is not always more economical .My 95 5.2 got over 19 mpg with out the overdrive or lockup converter connected. It had a M1 intake and a carter carb .It ran great but is real touchy on where you set the timing .Now with the custom injection it is already getting 21.8 mpg . I just switch to a wideband O2 ,so now I can do some fine tuning.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:37 PM
hemichuck
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are several manifolds out there for this application,Mopar Performance makes a dual plane and single plane both,profesional Products makes a crosswind intake that fits both the magnum and the older LA engines,and Edelbrock makes the performer RPM air gap.The thing you have to watch out for is the water neck location because there are 3 different types and only the stock magnum location will accomodate your AC compressor. I know the Edelbrock has the stock location,some of the later mopar performance intakes did also but the crosswind has the old style waterneck and so do most of the older MP intakes.As far as a carb goes I would stay under 600-650 cfm not matter what type of carb you choose. Personally if it were my truck I wouldnt cahnge back to a carb,I love my efi. But I do have several older Dakotas that I have built and run carbs on. No real advantage unless your going to get wild building an engine with lots of cam and compression.Good luck

Old 10-03-2007, 04:56 PM
fastlil318

Thanx for all you input. My motor is at the machine shop right now getting bored out and i am upping the compression to 10.3:1. It's also getiing a set of edelbrock rpm performer aluminumheads.

Quick Reply: carb