1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Tightening Belt

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:42 AM
DeanEH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tightening Belt

Is there a way to tighten the serpentine belt of a 1994 Dodge Dakota? I am replacing the old belt but the new belt seems to be not as tight.[sm=feedback.gif]

Old 09-18-2007, 12:28 PM
pashadowops
Veteran
Default RE: Tightening Belt

I don't see an adjustment for the tensioner on my '95. You may have to replace the tensioner pulley. You might want to verify that they gave you the right belt. It took the guys at my local store 3 tries to get it right. My belt broke on the highway so I didn't have it to match up.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:36 PM
DeanEH

Thanks for the reply. I didn't see away of tightening the belt either. I thought I might have missed something. I put the old belt back on because my Check Engine light came on when I installed the new belt. When I put my old belt back on the Check Engine light stopped coming on. My local Dodge dealer didn't have a belt in stock so I had to get one at NAPA.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:37 PM
DeanEH

I found the answer to my own problem. I had installed the serpentine belt incorrectly. I am the original owner and this only the second time I have replaced this belt. Everything works fine now.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:47 PM
Wick93

And I was about to tell you that you may have put it on wrong or maybe they gave you the wrong one. Also, the tensioner could be going bad. Glad you fixed it.

Quick Reply: Tightening Belt