1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

88 V6 Dakota Tune up time, any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 03:09 PM
scottiedog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 V6 Dakota Tune up time, any recommendations?

Hey All,

So my new to me 88 Dakota has been running great, however, feel like its needing a tune up/service, poor thing has 135k on the clock and not sure since she was last done. I was wondering where the best place is to get the partsand also if anyone has any recommendations on particular brands? Any experiance you have would be a great help. On the list is...

Sparkplugs & Wires
PCV
Air Filter
Cap & Rotor
Drain Transmission Fluid
Oil Change & Filter
Coolant
Belts

Probably add new discs and pads to the list too.

Anyone see if I am forgetting something? Its been a million years sinceI did any work on a car, always been buying new and loosing a ton of money at the dealership with the "regular service intervals", so I am a little rusty.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:25 PM
kahanabob
Captain
Default RE: 88 V6 Dakota Tune up time, any recommendations?

As far as cap & rotor I suggest getting them from the dealer. I have had bad luck with those parts from a Auto Zone type store. Also the same goes for sensors. I would also get the plug wires from the dealer too.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Nicegy525
Veteran

dont use champion spark plugs they suck. NGK's work better. Get GOOD plug wires and cap and rotor (dealer recommended). also consider air filter and fuel filter. NAPA gold series are good quality. Flush the coolant system good, check for leaks around the radiator, hoses, water pump etc. You might go ahead and put in a new thermostat. New pads and rotors may not be needed. Inspect them for wear first. Consider having a transmission flush done along with dropping the pan and changing the filter. That will get ALL of the tranny fluid and the whole system flushed. Check your belts for cracks on the undersides and check the tension. Replace if they are worn. Also check for oil leaks. Most common leaks come from the front and rear main seals and the valve cover gaskets.

Good luck!

Old 09-20-2007, 05:28 PM
scottiedog

Thanks guys, great info, looks like its going to be a busy weekend

Quick Reply: 88 V6 Dakota Tune up time, any recommendations?