1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

oil change lesson

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:14 AM
iraqvet
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change lesson

I've been changing the oil in my vehicles for years but forgot one simple lesson...make sure the gasket from the old filter isn't stuck to the block! If you accidently leave the old gasket on the block and install the new filter, the new filter will not seal and all of your new oil will be pumped onto the driveway...

Old 09-29-2007, 12:59 PM
Wick93
Default RE: oil change lesson

Yup, years ago a friend smoked his motor because of this. I always check.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Nicegy525
Veteran

oh that is so true!!! I hate it when that happens, especially when 6 quarts spill onto wet pavement in a parking lot!!

Old 09-29-2007, 09:04 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nicegy525

oh that is so true!!! I hate it when that happens, especially when 6 quarts spill onto wet pavement in a parking lot!!
Not that your speaking from experiance...
I've neglected to check a few times, but luckily, everything came off OK.
Of course, now that I've got my home-made pre-lubrication system (project information coming, sometime, I promise [&:]), I'll know before turning the engine on.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:39 AM
RJTDakotaBoy
Professional

I work in the Lube bay at the local GM dealer (they pay better than the Dodge dealer) and that happened a few days ago. Good ol' double gasket. We had a girl come inw ith an Avalanche and it was double gasketed but the place that did the oil change before had tightened the oil filter so much that it sealed it. Bitch to get off. Another hint is always put oil on the new filter's gasket. Saves lots of frustration 5000 kms later. And not to brag but we know our stuff. In august we were the busiest Lube shop in all of Canada. The next closest was in ontario and they put through 700 vehicles, we put through 1000

Quick Reply: oil change lesson