1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Performance cams

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:25 PM
fox
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Performance cams

Hey guys was needing some help in figuring out which performance cam specs would be best for my truck I was thinking this camshaft i found on ebay only problem is it comes with the flat tappet lifer instead of roller hydraulic ones http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR...em280158254380

any feed back u guys have would be helpful

Old 10-06-2007, 02:44 AM
V8DAKOTAV8
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Performance cams

I would go with a hydraulic roller cam. check out summitracing.com and jegs.com. look for a "purple shaft". that would be your best bet. they will give you all the specs and tell you what cam would be best for what you want.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:53 AM
V8DAKOTAV8
Rookie

Ok so i just looked it up because i got thinking about it. Summit Racing has a kit with cam and lifters for about $480.00. However, it is a set kit and you cant change anything. On Jegs.com they have the "Purple Shaft" kit which includes the cam and lifters. At Jegs, you can choose your lift, duration, centerline, etc. there kits average about $185.00!!! big difference. I would go with jegs. go to their main page and search for "purple shaft" and the page will come up. good luck.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:24 AM
fox
Veteran

Ya thats what i was lookin at but I don't know if they come with the roller lifters or just hydraulic tappets but i will ask. I figure im gonna want something with low power like 2000rpm-5000 or 6000rpm, i think the stock cam duration is 240/248 im gonna look for one about 280/280 if thats right for my truck.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:16 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

If you go with a cam like that, I hope you have or plan on having a 3000 stall converter. Just my .02

Old 10-06-2007, 04:33 PM
fox
Veteran

Well i didn't know about that and just read up on the stall speedon it and well I don't really have the money to buy $300 converter and performance cam its one or the other. o well.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:44 PM
hemichuck
Rookie

All of the cams advertised as "purple shafts" are hydraulic flat tappet cams and will not work in a stock magnum motor because they have the long nose to accomadate a fuel pump eccentric.They are also made for a 1.5 rocker where as the magnums have a 1.6 so the 509 would actually have 542 lift in a magnum engine which would probably cause some coil bind on the valve springs not to mention the stock computor wouldnt work with that much lift.Also,you cant just change out the hydraulic roller lifters onto a regular purple shaft because the ramp angles are different on the cam lobe.Mopar performance makes several hydraulic roller cams that will work in your motor but they are a little pricey.Crane makes a nice billet hydraulic roller in several lifts. Unless you are going to some exotic computor I would stay under 500 lift with the factory electronics.I ran a 518 lift crane in my 5.9 and the computor had a real tough time with it.We finally got it to work but had to really tweak some things. anything over a 470 lift will require some better valve springs.Try Mancini racing for a Mopar cam and they have some other stuff listed too.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:52 AM
fox
Veteran

nice.... ya it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be so I will just get the stock cam its just too much hassle to install a performance one I can see from your troubles. Didn't waste the money though got a pair of brand new gibsonstainless steel headers on ebay for like $180 so im happy

Quick Reply: Performance cams