1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel Sending Unit Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Razoroth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Sending Unit Problem

Hey guys, I found this forum while looking for a few answers to some issues I've been having with my '92 3.9L V6 dakota and found this place. Hope I can help out and share what I know with everyone while I'm here. but anywho, to my question:

My problem is I bought this truck back in january for a job with RCH Cable, a subcontractor company for chater communications. Before buying it, I was told that the gas gauge did not work. It read full at all times. I had an idea of what the problem was, and decided on a simple fix: replacement. So that I did, buying a used fuel pump from my dakota-guy who lives not too far from myself. This pump came out of a '91 3.9L V6, and did not quite look the same as far as the sending unit's lever and floater were concerned. I tried it anyway, and paid no mind to the difference noted. Me and a friend removed the truck bed, removed the old fuel pump, put the new one in and reconnected all of the connections (which were not quite in the correct place, had to "stretch" the lines a tad, but were not overly stressed so this shouldn't be my problem). I started the truck up with no bed and drove it around the block (hehe, fun). Bringing it back to my work spot in the yard and checking the fuel level on the gauge, it showed I had around a half tank of gas, which I assumed was correct. It stayed steady for the rest of the night and I assumed I had fixed my problem. The next day, I noticed I was on empty, and was very confused. Driving around the block for a bit then checking again, Then needle had moved up to 1/4 tank, then to full, then to empty again. I now drive according to milage (around 280 on a full tank, then refill, reset trip odo, then do all over again.). This problem still occurs, and I'm not sure as to why. My only guess is maybe a small hole in the floater causing it to fill with gas and drop down to near empty, just freely floating in the gas. When I refill to full, my gas goes up to full accordingly, but only after running it nearly empty.

If anyone thinks this is or is not a floater issue, please give me some feedback, as I would like to avoid spending too much money on solutions that will not work.

Thanks in advance.

-Raz

Old 11-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Sending Unit Problem

The gas guage is a big problem that us dakota have. I did have the problem all I did was replace the sending unit and it has worked eversince. But some peole replace it and it still doesnt work. So I would say check the wires going to the tank make sure the ground is good and all wires are good. Check out the FAQ in this sec. 1st gen. dak. they talk about some tab the gets corroted or something.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Razoroth

Well the reason I changed out the fuel pump before was because of this problem. The sending unit is built in to the fuel pump so changing just the sending unit isn't possible. The only parts available at any place I've gone to show it as all one piece (fuel pump) for around $175, which I'd much rather avoid if possible. My fuel pump works perfectly and if there is a simple problem I'd rather a simple fix. But I have put into consideration buying a new pump if I ever get enough spare money to afford it.

Thanks for the reply, hope to hear more.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:18 AM
Chump
Captain

ORIGINAL: Razoroth

Well the reason I changed out the fuel pump before was because of this problem. The sending unit is built in to the fuel pump so changing just the sending unit isn't possible. The only parts available at any place I've gone to show it as all one piece (fuel pump) for around $175, which I'd much rather avoid if possible. My fuel pump works perfectly and if there is a simple problem I'd rather a simple fix. But I have put into consideration buying a new pump if I ever get enough spare money to afford it.

Thanks for the reply, hope to hear more.
More than likely the problem is the sending unit but you can check the wiring along the frame. There were also ground issues...
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1991/08-11-91.htm
91-93
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1994/08-33-94.htm

You can take the power wire off the sender and with the key on see if the needle on the dash gauge goes all the way over to full..if it does than more than likely it's the sender. The used fuel pump you got may have the same problem as the one you took out. The sending unit is available from Dodge and may run around $40 online. Here's a page from the factory parts manual that you can use for reference. Dakota's are an "N" type body style for parts purposes.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21718/839BB71ED317465393B739A5FBF8D7F2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Razoroth

The instructions on rewiring the sending unit is a little too much for me to handle, especially considering I don't understand halve of what it tells me to do, lol. I'm not very advanced when it comes to wiring a vehicle. The only thing I know how to wire in a vehicle is neons, smaller accessories, fog lights, and stereo systems/amp/subs setup.

So, according to the diagram you showed, it IS possible to get a replacement sending unit for the fuel pump without replacing the entire pump itself, correct? If so this is the simple fix I was looking for. I was just always told the unit wasn't available unless you buy the entire pump. I will look further into this tomorrow while running around town getting parts for the 2000 Kia Sephia we just got. (Traded my banged up 95 Eclipse RS with kit and underbodies and the full works. )

Old 11-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Chump
Captain

The instructions on rewiring the sending unit is a little too much for me to handle, especially considering I don't understand halve of what it tells me to do, lol. I'm not very advanced when it comes to wiring a vehicle. The only thing I know how to wire in a vehicle is neons, smaller accessories, fog lights, and stereo systems/amp/subs setup.

So, according to the diagram you showed, it IS possible to get a replacement sending unit for the fuel pump without replacing the entire pump itself, correct? If so this is the simple fix I was looking for. I was just always told the unit wasn't available unless you buy the entire pump. I will look further into this tomorrow while running around town getting parts for the 2000 Kia Sephia we just got. (Traded my banged up 95 Eclipse RS with kit and underbodies and the full works. )
#7 is the seperate sending unit. You have to determine if you have the 15 or 22 gallon tank. Get a new sender and put it on your original pump assembly if you still have it. If you need a cheaper source for the sender try www.makeitmopar.com or www.directpartsconnection.com

Old 11-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Razoroth

Neither of those two sites list a sending unit, only a pump. I'm browsing different sites now looking for the part by name and part # described in the diagram as #7 15Gal Tank.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:59 AM
Chump
Captain

Neither of those two sites list a sending unit, only a pump. I'm browsing different sites now looking for the part by name and part # described in the diagram as #7 15Gal Tank.
They are there, just plug the part numbers in that I gave you in the parts list above and they will come up. Don't use the year drop down feature...use the blank spot that says "Search by Factory Part Number"

Quick Reply: Fuel Sending Unit Problem