1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

catylitic converter

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:14 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: catylitic converter

my 88 has no cat on it, but it was like that when i got it. technically, in the state of ohio i could take it to the dodge dealer and have them put a brand new cat on it, and then send the bill to the previous owner. but i dont really care because we dont have emissions checks or anything. my truck didnt used to have a muffler either and it was dumped under the cab, but the exhaust fumes were bothering me so i got a muffler on it and dumped it behind the cab. i gotta say, no cat and no muffler sounded pretty sweet, now it just sounds ok.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:07 AM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i picked up 1.5 miles to the gallon when i cut mine out.....

Old 11-04-2007, 01:02 AM
fox
Veteran

I don't know one of these days all probley put a high flow cat in after I got my engine back in and paint done. how much does the high flow increase performance and mpg?

Old 11-22-2007, 02:45 PM
RPMRamFury
Professional

ORIGINAL: V8DAKOTAV8

I personally would recommend a high-flow cat versus none at all. you will lose gas mileage but gain performance by cutting it out, but with the price of gas...decide for yourself. I know in PA (where im originally from) they have the emmission inspections also. most places are going with them. sometimes you can get away with it, most times not. its up to you.
You will not, under any circumstances, loose gas mileage. I cut my brothers cat out, and 2 of my friends also did the same with the same 3.9 v-6 motors, and all have had a significant increase in MPG, and its also good to know that the cat won't clog up and burn a valve on these motors which is very common if not replaced or deleted when plugged.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:54 PM
kahanabob
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you cut it out did it have a 1/2" or so pipe comming down from the engine going into the CAT. If so what do you do with it?

Old 11-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Danny~G
Rookie

if you dont want to get cought removing the cat then punch the in sides out thats what i did that way if they ask u could say its still there

Old 11-22-2007, 10:51 PM
put it to the floor

i feel like an idiot asking this but how would you do it ......just push a peice of pipe though the center or something

[/align]

Old 11-23-2007, 01:20 AM
flyers win the cup
Professional

dumped the cat, and all the other pollutioncontrol in nova scotia. can haul a small house with a 3.9, don't know about vermont. if your laws will allow it, go for it

Old 11-23-2007, 06:45 AM
BuckTracker

put it to the floor-
I take them off and beat the inside apart with a bar. Break it up and dump it out. Try not to breath in the dust to much I was told once and figured that was a good idea.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:33 PM
partsman31523
Rookie

KAHANABOB DON'T BEAT THE CRAP OUTTA THE INSIDE OF YOUR CAT!!! THE STATE INSPECTION ISN'T WHERE THEY LOOK TO SEE IF YOU HAVE A CATALYTIC CONVERTER INSTALLED ON YOUR VEHICLE. AT LEAST NOT IN TX ANYWAYS. HERE THEY STICK A SENSOR ON A ROD INTO YOUR TAILPIPE AND MEASURE THE SMOG CONTENT. IF YOUR VEHICLE ISN'T REDUCING THE SMOG BY A CERTAIN PERCENTAGE THEN YOU FAIL AND YOUR VEHICLE HAS TO GET TOWED AWAY. THEY WON'T EVEN LET YOU DRIVE IT HOME FROM THERE. JUST GET A HIGH FLOW CAT AND BE LEGAL! I GOT BY WITH EMPTYING MY CAT IN GA BUT WE DIDN'T HAVE ANNUAL TESTING DONE THERE!

Quick Reply: catylitic converter