1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Help with DX codes please?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 06:59 PM
GatorDawg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with DX codes please?!

I have a 1993 Dodge Dakota 2wd extended cab that is having some issues. If it sits for a couple of days or is cooler than normal, it will start and idle fine (usually) but when you drive it, within the first 1/2 mile, it starts sputtering, chugging (gets worse upon acceleration and stalls) and back firing. If you brake to stop, it stalls. Sometimes it starts back up normally, but most times it starts up making the same noises it did before it stalled. It may need to be turned off and started again, 4 or 5 times. Most times it drives fine after this, but sometimes, it starts all over. It seems, once it is good an warmed up, it's fine.

Anyways, checked the engine codes and need some help from someone who has a list of them
Here they are: 12 and 17.

Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-03-2007, 07:13 PM
codydakota
Captain
Default RE: Help with DX codes please?!

12- nothing to worry about, battery disconnected within last 50 key cycles (comes on often when pulling codes whether it's true or not)
17- engine running too cold
An intake air temperature sensorcould cause this, not guaranteeing it's the problem but it's where I'd start

Old 11-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I used to get a 17 every so often when I used a 160 deg. theromostat. Now on 180 I dont get it anymore. I would say I could be your thermostat or you sensor.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:51 AM
GatorDawg

Thanks guys.

Crazy,

Did you have driveability problems?

Quick Reply: Help with DX codes please?!