1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Tie-rod ends

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 10:39 AM
joecornish
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie-rod ends

I'm replacing the tie rod ends on my 92 dak tomorrow (2wd, power steering, 3.9L). I've never done this before.

I know I need to measure the distance between the front of the two wheels and the back of the two wheels before and make sure they are reasonably close after and then take it for an alignment check.

Anything else I need to know or look out for?

Old 11-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Tie-rod ends

It should be easy. The only other thing you may need to know is it may be hard to take off the ball joint end. The best situation is if you have the ball joint fork to remove it. You could just bang the hammer around but the fork is easyer. Good luck.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:21 PM
iraqvet
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tie-rod ends

See if your parts store has a loaner fork or the fancy press. I rebuilt my front end a few months ago and just counted the number of turns it took to get the old tie rod end off....reverse that when you put the new one on. I paid the alignment shop $60 to tell me everything was in specs - that was aggrivating but gave me some peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Tie-rod ends