1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

starter wire question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:06 AM
dgavob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter wire question?

i turn the key to start, it closes the starter relay and walah right? do you know if this is a strait run electrically or do ya thinktheres some sort of control in between the ignition and the starter relay? im jst wondering if somthing else could be holding me up.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:08 AM
dgavob
Default RE: starter wire question?

im sorry its an 87 dakota 2.2 with no turbo na a/c and a manual trans. pretty basic

Old 11-14-2007, 11:15 AM
minnesotamopar
Rookie

You don't mention symptoms but I'll assume you get no cranking whatsoever.

If this is the case, it could be the starter solenoid. A common check for this is to beat on the starter case with a hammer and try to start it again.

If it starts then it's the solenoid. I don't know about vehicles as old as yours, but current vehicles use solenoids that are not servicable, therefore a whole starter replacement would be needed.

--Matt

Old 11-14-2007, 11:49 PM
dgavob

yes thats it. i pulled it out and i m bypassing the solonoid yhe starter turns but doesnt pop out. i was told that there is a magnet in the solonoid that once it closes it passes power to the starter and it also makes it engage. i dont see how its only a switch? i was just gonna bypass the whole solonoid and puta push button inside the cab on the high amperage side. but as i mentiond is the solonoid some how making the starter pop out and supplying power?

Old 11-15-2007, 01:37 PM
minnesotamopar
Rookie

ORIGINAL: dgavob

but as i mentiond is the solonoid some how making the starter pop out and supplying power?
Yes, I think that is correct, (as correct as I can be while not under a vehicle) typically this will push the starter cog teeth into the flywheel teeth as well as switch the power to the starter motor on.

Did it start if you hammered on the starter?

These starters are fairly cheap to buy at like Pep Boys etc. and it's a cake install job I'm sure you've noticed. Just bought one for my Jeep GC, it was like $60

--Matt

Old 11-17-2007, 09:55 PM
bronco4x4

Please don't rig up a switch, thats a hack job. What you should be doing is buying a new starter and be done with the problem.

Quick Reply: starter wire question?