1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

rear end help

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007 | 07:46 PM
daksport91
|
Rookie
Default rear end help

ok so i have a 91 dakota 4x4 5.2L - it has 3.9 gears in the rear. I think it has the limited slip because on pavement it will leave 2 marks and i can put it sideways like a damn on dry pavement. But now we have snow on the ground and ive noticed that alot of the time only 1 tire wants to spin. I noticed today that i had to tires spining then one just stopped and i heard a sound that didnt sound health. I cant really describe it but i know it came from the rear end.... maybe a click or clink kind of sound.

Also it has always seemed to want to spin the on tire faster than the other even though both are spinning.

whats up? i hope my rear end is not going because i would hate to be stranded in -40 weather ....

Old 11-29-2007 | 03:25 AM
flyers win the cup
Professional
Default RE: rear end help

check your u-joints. they are usually the first to go before the rear.

Old 11-29-2007 | 01:39 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

If you do have a lsd your cluches may be going out. lift the rear tires and spin one wheel by hand if the other tire turns oposite it is an open rear end. If it spins the same way it is a lsd. The lsd will let one side spin more even if the cluches are good. That is why the name is limited slip. they are not full lockers.

Old 11-29-2007 | 01:43 PM
300hp318
Rookie

check your transmission fluid

Old 11-29-2007 | 07:03 PM
daksport91
|
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Crazy4x4RT

If you do have a lsd your cluches may be going out. lift the rear tires and spin one wheel by hand if the other tire turns oposite it is an open rear end. If it spins the same way it is a lsd. The lsd will let one side spin more even if the cluches are good. That is why the name is limited slip. they are not full lockers.
ok, thats what i was looking for clutches.... not worth it to replace the clutches and just buy a locker? I knew lsd would slip, just didnt figure it would slip this much. This weekend im changing the tires so then ill have it up in the air so ill find out for sure if its open or lsd. If the clutches are screwed will the rear end still last a long time, just i will act more and more like a open diff? i dont want to get stranded on the way to work in this nasty cold on a windy day

ORIGINAL: 300hp318

check your transmission fluid
GOOD IDEA! ill have to remember to do that. Thanks u fuking tard. Its my first truck, everyone has to start somewhere. We are not just born knowing eeverything.

Old 11-29-2007 | 07:59 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

As far as I know if the cluches are bad you should still be able to drive it around still. It does have spidergears in it, so like you said it will just act like a open diff. I had one in my TA that I fried the cluches. I was still able to drive it around no problems for a month untill I could aford a new rearend. If you realy want to keep your LSD you can buy cluches for them. I think it was at summitracing.com or moparperformance.com Good luck let us know how it turns out.

Old 11-29-2007 | 08:11 PM
daksport91
|
Rookie

yea im not going to even touch it until spring.....chances are though ill just go locker before rebuilding my lsd.... i might change the rear end fluid this winter if i have time though, ive still got tons to do, i wanst ready for winter at all haha..... all my tires are pretty much shot, i cant get any traction. Its a good thing ive got 4x4 or else id have been stuck a few times already....

Quick Reply: rear end help