1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Windshield Wipers Quit...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 01:06 PM
kvh_1fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Wipers Quit...

My wipers quit a few days ago and I really need to get them going again. The weather had been beautiful until they quit!!! Figures huh??

I popped the hood and I can here the motor going when I have the blades turned on but no movement?? It sounds like the motor is good so I don't know what to do. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:07 PM
kvh_1fan
Default RE: Windshield Wipers Quit...

By the way, its a '91 Dakota.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:34 PM
kahanabob
Captain

There is a plastic bushing/keeper that the wiper linkage pops into where they connect to each wiper and the motor. These fail and need to be replaced. You can get them at most auto parts stores. Have to take off the wiper blades and the grill under them. may also have to take out the wiper rotating unit as well to install. The new bushings/keepers pop on, will need to press them in. pay attention to how the linkage comes out as not to put it together backwards. The linkage has to go back the same way it was ,careful not to turn on over either. I would replace them all while you are in there I think there is 3. The one that connects to the motor is differant than the others and may have to get it at dealer?

Old 01-19-2008, 11:04 PM
mini
Professional

you sure its the wash motor running? , if not then maybe a relay

Old 01-22-2008, 09:42 AM
1baddak

I agree with kahanabob change all three.I made the mistake of just fixing one then later had to fix another so this time i bought them all at the local dodge dealer. easy way to know if thats his problem just grab the wiper arm and see if it will move with the wipers off. Should hear it moving around lose.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:24 PM
95V8Dakota4x4
Professional

If the bushings aren't your problem the pivots may be. I've currently got a failed passenger side wiper pivot, only the drivers side wiper works. I can't imagine why ricers would do that on purpose...

Quick Reply: Windshield Wipers Quit...