1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

DRB II Is There an OBD that will do the same

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:51 AM
DAK_93
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRB II Is There an OBD that will do the same

Got my factory service manual now need to pull the codes. Got several issues
1.Fuel system (have to wait about 40 secw/ ignition on position) for start. Hard start
2.Poor acceleration (pedal to the flooracceleration)
3.Fuel Gauge (moves up and down at times)
4.Overdrive Switch not operational (No overdrive what so ever)
5.Tansmission seems to be slipping (slowly shifts1,2,3,no OD)
6.Temperature Climate control not working no power(blowerworks fine heat after 30 min)
New plugs,wires,rotor,oil,fuel injector cleaner ,________,_____,_________
Understand manual calls for aDRB II forpulling codes and resets is there any Scan tool that does not cost 2k and does the same (OBD for example)? Thank you in advanceforall feedback.
1993 Dodge Dakota LE Club Cab3.9L V6 MagnumMPI 4x4 42RH

Old 01-23-2008, 02:09 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: DRB II Is There an OBD that will do the same

ORIGINAL: DAK_93

Got my factory service manual now need to pull the codes. Got several issues
1.Fuel system (have to wait about 40 secw/ ignition on position) for start. Hard start
2.Poor acceleration (pedal to the flooracceleration)
3.Fuel Gauge (moves up and down at times)
4.Overdrive Switch not operational (No overdrive what so ever)
5.Tansmission seems to be slipping (slowly shifts1,2,3,no OD)
6.Temperature Climate control not working no power(blowerworks fine heat after 30 min)
New plugs,wires,rotor,oil,fuel injector cleaner ,________,_____,_________
Understand manual calls for aDRB II forpulling codes and resets is there any Scan tool that does not cost 2k and does the same (OBD for example)? Thank you in advanceforall feedback.
1993 Dodge Dakota LE Club Cab3.9L V6 MagnumMPI 4x4 42RH
You don't need a reader to pull the codes. The truck has one built in. To access it all you have to do is turn the key on and off 3 times repeatedly ending with the ignition on. Basically ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON. The codes then will flash to an intermitten sequence. For instance, 5 flashes w/ a pause and 5 more flashes indicates an end of code sequences. It may takea coupletries in order to understand how it works. As far as resetting the codes just unhook the battery for a 5 or so minutes.When/if youcheck the codes again, you should get a 1 flash pause 2 flash indicating your battery was disconnnected in the last 50 starts and 5 flashes pause 5 flashes indicating the end.

#1 Are you engaging the starter when you say the key is on? If you are not engaging the starter for #1, then for#1 and#2,I wouldguess you have a plugged fuel filter which would produce hard starts and would also include poor acceleration because its starving for fuel. If you are enaging the starter for #1, then for #1 and #2, I would say your timing is off causing it to start hard and to not accelerate very good.

#3, is common especially when you have less then a full tank of fuel. On my 93' it would always float up and down in bumpy/jerky situations.

#4 a quick diagonostic fix would be to unhook the button, it'll go into a default mode bypassing the button and making the truck shift into all gears, if it doesn't then its one of the tranny sensors ie temperature sensor, speed sensor, etc.

#5 change your tranny oil and filter and re-torque your shift bands is all I can say.

#6, I would guess you have a plugged heater core orthethermostat is stuck open. If it is the heater core it is possible that it can be flushed. On the drivers side in the engine compartment, on the firewall, there should be two hoses going into the firewall, I'd disconnect both to avoid any junk to flow back in the radiator or the block before flushing. Once disconnected force some water through one of the openings until you are satisfied.If thethermostat is stuck open, just replace it. How fast does the truck engine heat up, if its super slow that will tell you?

As far as thereplacement tune-up parts you have listedI would include a cap and all filters (fuel, air, engine oil, and trans oil)

Hope this all helps!

Old 01-23-2008, 11:16 PM
gutterrat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DRB II Is There an OBD that will do the same

My 93 with 5.2 also takes about 10 seconds to start. Found out it's a fuel leak at the tank that lets the fuel pressure drop so it takes a few seconds to build it back up. Turn the key on for about 10 seconds without starting it then see if it starts right up. Hopethis helps.Don't know about the other stuff