1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

couple 89 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:40 PM
kev4587
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple 89 questions

Hi guys im new here and have a couple questions. This is my first dodge and dont know much about them or even older models i just

sold me 2005 colorado to buy a house and now i just picked up a 89 dakota 2wd with 167000 miles on it. The check engine light comes

on and off so i did the on-off key it showed the a/c clutch relay circuit, but this truck does not even have a/c so I dont know what

that code is about. it also shows Torque converter clutch solenoid CKT or park/neutral switch failure and i have no idea how to fix this

probem. and the last code it flashed was 46 Charging system voltage too low which also stumps me because the voltage meter reads

fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated i am a 20 year old on a tight budget due to the recent house purchase so i picked this

truck up for 500 dollars it looks nice and runs good but just wanted some advice on the codes thanks guys

Old 01-24-2008, 02:08 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: couple 89 questions

thecode for the A/C relay is fine. it will come on if you dont have A/C.

and I would put a volt meter to the batter and see what it reads. and that will point you off in the right direction.

also. try to erase the codes and see which ones come back. just unhook the battery for about 15-20minutes and then take it for a drive and see if the check engine light comes back on.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:22 PM
kev4587

thanks for the quick reply i will disconnect the batery and try from there but would that converter selnoid code have any thing to do with it shifting hard or is that just normal since ive been reading a little on here it seems like the trannys all shift hard

Old 01-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Truck Dude
Veteran

My tranny shifts like hell when its cold...but after i drive a few blocks it shifts without even feeling it. I also added a little bit of tanny fluid cause it was on the bottem end of the good range, so check your fluids. But im not sure about your problem with the converter solenoid. Good luck with the truck, these first gens can take a beating! [sm=signs003.gif]

Quick Reply: couple 89 questions