1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Rund09
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension questions

So I have a 1994 SLT (4x4, 5.2L) and I am looking to put in air bags (not to lower the truck, to keep it from leaning or keep the bed/back of the truck from sagging). I have looked at bags to replace the coil springs and then I have looked at bags that you install between the chassis and leaf spring. I think the better choice would be the bags you place in the leaf springs (correct me if I am wrong) also my buddy who owns a el' camino had bags and had the air lines combined then sent to the outside of his car so when he wanted them stiffer he would just fill them and the exact oppisite when he wanted them softer. But I was talking to my instructor for heavy duty trucks and he got me all confussed on how to install the bags and what I needed to install them and what I needed parts wise. If someone could help it would be very helpful. Thank You, Travis.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: suspension questions

They are 2 diffent kind of systems that are simalar. There air bags and air shocks. Air shocks are just like it says shocks that use air. They bolt up in stock locations and easy to install! They are cheep. Under $90. They can lift the rear end up and help with stuffen up the suspenstion. Just use an tire airpump to air up.Or you can rig up with a onboard air compressor. Theygive you up to 1,000lbs Extra loading capastiy. You can get them from checkers or jcw.com or https://www.shockshopusa.com/thankyou.html
Air bags are alot stronger and more involved install, but still easy. There are the adders like you metioned on top of you leaf springs. You can get them for the front as well to replace the front coil. They cost anywhere from $190-up They can alow 2500lbs extra loading capastity. Some use the tire air valve some use the onboad compressor. Check out http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/V...003410/c-10101. It all depends on what you want to spend and what you want out of it.

Quick Reply: suspension questions