1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New here, gotta problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:29 PM
mackadoodle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here, gotta problem

My name is Mac. I've owned dodges since I started driving about 40 years ago. My current baby is a '92 Dakota clubcab and I need to replace the tach gauges monitor unit. It finally gave up the ghost after 100,000+ miles and some hard driving over the years. I found a short in the gauge unit and when I bypass it I have no tach or speedometer! I don't need one but the other is a must. Can anyone help me out with a parts supply or refurbisher that might have a unit I could get? Thanks for the help.

.....mac

Old 02-22-2008, 10:42 PM
capricorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New here, gotta problem

My tach quit and I bought a whole instrument cluster from the salvage yard; that did not fix it. My horn also did not work but I hadn't got to that problem yet. Anyway I traced back the wiring for the tach feed and found that the tach feed jumped right off the horn relay feed on the back of the fuse panel. Who'd a thunk that? Fixed two birds with one stone. I don't think that would have anything to do with the speedometer though, since the speedo is cable driven.

Quick Reply: New here, gotta problem