1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Differential Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 05:45 PM
capricorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Upgrade

Hey fellow Kota freaks; Got some questions hoping for a little enlightenment. Mine is a 90 regular cab originallywith the 3.9/5 speed,4x2. Last year I bought a really ugly but good running 92 extended cab with the 5.2, auto overdrive slushbox. I transfered the entire running gear fuel systemand electronics from ugly to my 90. I have looked for a posi/limited slip third member and can't find one. The gear in it now is a 3.55:1 and I have purchaced a 3.9:1, since I'm going to taller, wider tires.

Myquestion is has anyone out there had experience with the Lock Right solid positraction units, also refered to as the L.A. lockers? My understanding is that the outside wheel over runs in corners since it's rolling faster, clicking kind of like a ratchet so no power is applied to that axle in corners. I've read that this will cause a little understeer but since I'm not road racing it is probably not gonna be much of a factor, though I plan on installing a rear sway bar for flatter cornering.

The price is around $350.00 bucks. Not cheap, but less than buying a new carrier that will accept the conventional clutch or cone type limited slip. Plus a lot easier to install although I do have all the tools and know how to set up a conventional limited slip/posi-traction. Also there seems to be no clutch wear nor special additives and no shims to worry about finding.

I'm building a daily driver and might be better off with an open differential than anything but, Ihate it when I nail it and one wheel starts spinning.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Differential Upgrade

Ya I have had both no-slip and lockright from powertrax. They are worth it. As long as they are installed correctly like the instrutions say it can handle everything. It works by locking up the diff. when your foot is on the gas. It canunlock when there is no to little foot pressure on the gas. The only draw back which is smallto them is on the streets, when making a tight turn from a complete dead stop. If you give to much gas you will make the tire chip just a little. so you do have to have a light foot when making turns from a dead stop.As for the sound I only have alight ratching sound when ever Im making a tight turn when I have momentum and a keep turning for a while. and the sound is not bad. It only causes under steer if you have your foot hard on the gas during a turn. If you have any more questions just ask.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:06 PM
capricorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear somebody has heard of this, thanks crazy. Are you still running the Lock Right,or was that a different vehicle? Just want something that will be fairly trouble free for day to day use.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No problem! I do still have the no-slip. I love it!

Quick Reply: Differential Upgrade