1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Dan14e
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member

Hey guys i'm a new member to this forum i don't own a dodge dakota my buddy actually owns a 94 club cab rwd .. i was wondering what posi or rear end i could swap in? and where i can get a la 318 and posi/rear end for the truck? Thanks for the help you guys

Old 04-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New member

check the junkyards, more likely to find a posi in a 4wd dakota. as for the la 318, i would go with the 360 for an la swap, if you re going trough trough trouble of switching it to carbmight as well do it right the first time.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:48 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bad96_3.9

check the junkyards, more likely to find a posi in a 4wd dakota. as for the la 318, i would go with the 360 for an la swap, if you re going trough trough trouble of switching it to carbmight as well do it right the first time.
+1 on both.
I'm looking to buy a house right now, and after I get one, and a beater car, my project on the Dakota will (hopefully)begin. My truck is going to be completely taken apart, and it will recieve a heart transplant when(ever) this occurs.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:18 AM
Dan14e

well i have the 3.9 now what would be the quickest easiest v8 swap to do??

Old 04-14-2008, 01:39 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

ORIGINAL: Dan14e

well i have the 3.9 now what would be the quickest easiest v8 swap to do??
For the LA

Buy the Schumaker mounts from Mancini Racing for 385

Buy the B&M flexplate from Summit Racing for 75

Buy a new lock-up torque converter with a higher stall for 300+ ( I recommend TCI)

Buy an MSD setup(6AL box and coil) 300+ (Summit Racing)

Buy a 650cfm carb (or higher if you want the motor semi built) 200+ (Summit Racing)

Buy the Chilton/Haynes manual 15+ (Auto Store) You'll need it for wiring diagrams.

I kept about 1/4 of my original harness and gutted the rest. The Lock-up and O/D will need to be hooked to switches.

The swap really isn't quick but it is semi-easy. Take your time and do it slowly, or else you'll constantly be going back over it like I was/am. lol.

For the Magnum you'll just need a motor mounts, wiring harness, ECU and better injectors, flex plate... I think that's it. Maybe someone else will chime in.

The rear end should be fine for it, just put some sure-grip and some 3.90 or 4.10 gears in it.

Transmission might need a rebuild depending on the mileage. I'd recommend a shift kit and better bands for it if it needs one.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Dan14e

Well i wanna put in a 5 speed..

Old 04-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: OneBadKota

For the Magnum you'll just need a motor mounts, wiring harness, ECU and better injectors, flex plate... I think that's it. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Transmission might need a rebuild depending on the mileage. I'd recommend a shift kit and better bands for it if it needs one.
pretty much does it for the magnum swap, but the motor mounts are the same and you dont need the harness. just a fuel rail, injectors, two more injector plugs, ecu(you can just run new wires from the ecu to the new injectors), flexplate, throttle cable(or modify the throttle body), a new fan shroud or cut the old one like i did, and new hoses and stuff for it being longer. i am going to do a how too explaininng all of this stuff, i still have to get pictures and finish writing it up, i have been really busy at school and dont have time yet, but soon!

Quick Reply: New member