1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Muffler shop put in different size pipe and muffler...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 12:31 PM
memasterac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler shop put in different size pipe and muffler...

I recently had a shop installed a Magnaflow muffler on my truck. I understand that this 92 5.2L has 3” pipe all the way after the cat.

This 18” Magnaflow has 2.5” S.I/S.O and both offset. The shop put 3” before the muffler and 2.5” pipe after. The owner claimed that the different pipe and muffler size than the OEM won’t change/reduce the truck’s performance. Is that true?

I like the Magnaflow’s mild and distinctive tone. I can't feel any performance difference. But when a shop put in something smaller size than before, I just couldn’t help wondering all the possibilities. I wish I caught it when installing. [sm=redx.gif]

Toyou exhaust experts: please chime in your thoughts. Please tell me whether the size variation haunts the performance, or it’s insignificance to even discuss. Thanks.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:36 PM
codydakota
Captain
Default RE: Muffler shop put in different size pipe and muffler...

The new size didn't change anything on my '95, I've got a 3" starting right after the Y into a 3" Cat, down into the muffler (3" SI, 2.5" DO) and 2 2.5" out the back, it didn't hurt anything, been on for almost 3 years now

Old 05-21-2008, 05:24 PM
jlbritt1
Rookie

Only thing it might do is increase your backpressure a little. Shouldn't be enough to cause ant problems. Unless your fuel mileage or performance has suffered, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:04 AM
BAnders
Veteran

my 93 had a 3 inch, then i decided to dual it out and cut the cat. the stupid *** put 2.25 pipes on and i didnt catch it until it was too late, plus they over charged me and took 5 hours to do it. the guy took his lunch break right in the middle of doing the work. i will never go back to that company, there are several of them around town and they are all the same. years later i took my truck to the same place and told them what i wanted and they said it was impossible. drove across town to another place, told them what i wanted and they said they could do it but it would take some time. now i have dual 2.5 adapter from the manifold, then 3inch into magnaflow highflow cats, then into magnaflow mufflers and out the back with those long slant tips. sounds incredible, i get would everytime i drive now. took about 4 hours and $550, but it was well worth it.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:40 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In the future I need to re-do the exhaust on my truck. I believe the number of exhaust clamps was counted up as 9.
I'd like to go with dual exhaust, I'll just have to get my truck back and see how I'll run all the pipes.

Quick Reply: Muffler shop put in different size pipe and muffler...