1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Questions about 1st gen Dak...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 12:05 PM
s1rGr1nG0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about 1st gen Dak...

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm getting an 87 Dak. How good are they as far as 4x4's go? I'm NOT looking for a rock crawler or anything like that. It will be my daily driver and weekend fishing truck down on the coast. What kind of axles do they have and what are the biggest tires you can put on them with the stock suspension? Also, I have been looking around at several 4x4 parts sites and it doesn't seem that there is much available for 1st gen's. Where is a good place to look online for parts and info about the Dak, (other than this site of course!!).

Old 05-31-2008, 01:23 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Questions about 1st gen Dak...

I have an 88 dak express, I think the dakota at that time was one of the best vehicles dodge made. It's not a magnum motor but I have no complaints. The only prob I have ever had is it likes to blow the axle boots. And the cheapest way to lift them is with a body lift. My express is a little higher than stock and I just cranked the torsion bars a little to get the front up so it would be close to level. Which is probably why the boots blow.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Questions about 1st gen Dak...

These trucks are great offroaders. I love them! In 92 It was the 4wd mag. 4x4 of the year. You have a 7.25 chry in front and 8.25 In rear. Some had the 7.25 in rear as well. Just look at the diff cover. if it is octigon its 7.25 if its oval its 8.25. The biggest tire most can fit on stock set up is 31s if you crank up the torsion bars. As far as parts, It depends what your looking for. There is a lot but you need to look several places. Try summitracing.com jegs.com jcw.com Moparperformanc.com ebay.com

Quick Reply: Questions about 1st gen Dak...