1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fires but wont run

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 05:20 PM
CamaroJake
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fires but wont run

Hi this is my first post, and i have a very important question.

I just rebuilt the top end w/ all new gaskets and general clean up. I put everything mechanical back together correctly, and the sensors. The truck did run before i rebuilt it, but here is the problem. At first the engine would not fire, and would spit and sputter out the carb, so the distributor was off 180 degrees (yes i know this is a "timeless" distributor). All of that has been corrected, butnow the problem is...

-When turning the key on, the engine turns just fine, and will fire for the first spirt of gas. The engine dies as soon after the first key over. Now it can crank all day, and it will fire for a second but it cuts the fuel. i figured this out because if you stand there and manually feed it gas, it runs just fine. Its not a fuel issue, and its not a carburator issue because this bastard ran before i parked it.

alot of people has told me this is a crank position sensor that tells the carb to shut off. However, I cant for the life of me, find the damned sensor. I have checked the entire block of the possible locations.

Is there a chance this is not the sensor? Is there something I missed? Please help me before my blood pressure finishes me off.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:31 PM
88dakv6
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fires but wont run

maybe you have the two fuel lines backwards, recheck all the connectors that go to the sensors and your grounds.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:30 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Fires but wont run

When you turn the key on can you hear the pump running ?

Quick Reply: Fires but wont run