1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

adding transfer case to 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:05 PM
gmackner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question adding transfer case to 2wd

I'm a newbie dakota owner, but not a newbie to auto mechanics.

What's needed to add a transfer case to my 95 2wd 3.9 automatic transmission. From what i read the tailend of the tranny is different. Can i just add this tail piece? The engine and trans were replaced by the previous owner and are new. i'm not looking to make this a 4wd truck. It's just a project i'm working on and will be using the transfer case output for something else.
Also do the later gen transfer cases work off of a electric on off switch and will one of them fit my truck? i would rather have a switch than have to cut a hole in my floor to install a lever.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You would need a tail shaft and tail housing off of a 4wd. And the diveshaft of a 4wd. No the electronic transfer case wouldnt just work with a switch. you would need the computer and wires to make it switch to the correct postion. they do have univeral cable kits for transfer case. So all you would need to do is cut a 1/2in hole insted of a 3x6in square. So if its not powering a front axle what would it be doing? Or using the low range. If you wanted extream 4x4 did make a 2wd tranny 4wd. Go to powerblocktv.com to see if you can view that episode.

Quick Reply: adding transfer case to 2wd