1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

rear shock mounts

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Griff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear shock mounts

I own an 88 dakota 4x4. Have recently purchased some 4 inch lift blocks for the rear. Unable to find a brand of shock that will accomodate a 4 inch lift. Wondering if anyone could suggest a way to to fab up some new upper shock mounts that can be bolted into the stock upper shock mount location, so i can stick with stock shock height. Will appreciate any info given.

Can email with suggestions to Honda400ex@hotmail.com

Old 02-02-2005, 02:40 PM
hwystar
Default RE: rear shock mounts

If you lift the truck by 4" you are giving the suspension 4" more travel yes? Then you fab up a bracket that mounts a shock designed for a stock amount of travel 4" lower from where it is supposed to live. The first time you try out your new lifted truck on anything bumpier than a dirt road What do you suppose will happen when the axel travels past the the length that your now 4" lower mounted stock shock is designed to move and into the area of your new amount of lift hmmmmmmmm? Give it a try and let me know. I think I would take my time and find a shock designed with that 4" extra of travel. There has to be some out there somewhere. Hwystar

Old 02-03-2005, 01:55 PM
Griff

I dont go 4x4ing all to often, but when i do, i go hardcore and am usually bouncing pretty hard. im not to worried about bottoming out the shock, because when u think about it, it would be impossible with the lift block installed and still remaining with stock shocks, because the shock shaft will be sitting 4 inchs higher than stock the stock level, but i am worried about when the shock extends all the way, then i will start blowing seals and risk breaking the shock shaft and so on. Another problem i have run in to is that i live in a small town. Swan River, Manitoba, Canada. We have a very small population around 10,000 people (including rural areas). So we dont have many specialty parts stores, and not much selection of shock brands to pick from. Am curently running Gabriel Max control on front, Wicked shocks. highly recommend them. but they dont make any that accomodate lifts. Rancho is the only brand that have found that make shocks for lifted daks, but currently only allow for 1 inch lift. Believe i have devised a way to fab some brackets for the shock. thanx for all your info. will get back to you with how things work out.
Griff

Old 02-03-2005, 03:04 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker

Monroe catalogs have the length and travel specs in them for shocks.
Just look for a shock that is 4" longer in the Monroe catalog, that is for a light duty truck and cross refrence that to your preferred brand.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Griff

right on. thanx gmsucks

Quick Reply: rear shock mounts