1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

4x4 wont engage

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 10:39 PM
daksport91
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO suction to CENTRAL AXLE DISCONNECT 4wd. HELP!

so i found out the hard way my front wheels are not engaging... ill put the transfer case in 4lo and it will be 2lo...

ive traced vac lines and cant see any disconnected or damaged. That central axle disconnect thing that has two vac lines going to it has some suction but not sure how much is needed to make it work.

Also on that thing on the front axle there are two wires going into the top from the looks of it... a green/brown and a black ?? i think are the two colors. well these wires where disconnected, and have been ever since i got the truck. What is the importance of these wires and where does it plug into?

thanks,

Last edited by daksport91; 09-13-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check out this site. It should have all the info you need. http://www.walt-n-ingrid.com/modifications.html#4x4

Old 09-07-2008, 01:15 PM
daksport91
Rookie

thanks for the help im sure ill be able to get it working again, unfortunately i have to go back to the city today for school so i may not get a chance to tinker with it.

the only thing that website did not have that im interested in finding out is where does the 4wd lamp switch wire plug into. When my rear end went i had a mechanic look into getting my light to work and they said they had put a new switch in... well it doesn't look like it was done and the wire was just hanging not hooked into anything. Im extremely pissed off considering i took it to the best guy at the shop and my rear end is even leaking after they rebuilt it.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:51 PM
daksport91
Rookie

ok so bigger problem.... i got under the truck myself and was checking it over and there is only suction on ONE hose going to the central axle disconnect. When in 2wd there is suction on one then when in 4wd no suction on either hose. I am lost and have no idea what is wrong!

any help please

Quick Reply: 4x4 wont engage