1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

computer question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:10 PM
93dak4x4
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default computer question

Well I finally broke down and took truck to mechanic today. He says the ecu is not talking to the IAC and that it is stating open/closed loop N/A.

He said I needed new computer. I called the dealer and some remanufacterers and was told I would need a computer for the Jeep grand cherokee the engine came out of. I went to junkyard and got used computer for same year jeep grand cherokee and it will start the engine but immediately kills it. Gives code 11. Starts right back up every time but then computer shuts it right back down.

Have any of you experienced this klind of swap between jeep and dakota? If so what was your resolution for computer compatibility?

Do you think a dealer can make either one of these computers work?

Please advise.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:06 PM
codydakota
Captain

11- No distributor input signal, not sure if that's what it is for the Jeep computer, but it is for the Dakota 3.9 and 5.2. Check the connections at the distributor. Make sure distributor is compatible with jeep EcU (should be, jeep motor and all)

Old 09-28-2008, 11:21 AM
low22

Not sure if your Dodge has a ignition security system, but that's what it sounds like to me. GM is notorious for this problem too.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:27 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

sound like the jeep pcm has security and your's dont you swap pcm from junkyards and you dont all have the same opitions security can not be changed cowboy up and buy the one from the dealer it comes updated and they have to put in the vin and pinion factor

Old 09-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need a comp for the dakota. i dont see why they think you would need a comp for a jeep. it is the same engine.... i dont think it will work with the jeep computer.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:03 PM
93dak4x4
Professional

Ultimately here is the end result. Neither the mechanics shop across the street nor the dealer nor the remanufacterer of ecu were right.

The jeep ecu has pins different than dakota, for instance the dakota has only 2 injector pins as it feeds the full side of engine at same time while the jeep from 93 has sequential injectors and 8 pins in the ecu.

After trying this crap I found out for myself that the fan clutch was bad and the timing retarded too far. Computer from dakota works fine.

Just goes to show that even the professionals are just winging it when wierd crap comes up.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:52 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

sometime 's thats true. but how is the fan clutch related to the IAC? and how did the dist get moved ? you syns the cam sensor (dist) with the crank sensor using a scan tool not a timming light? and bad 96 is correct just because they have the same eng dont mean there wired the same

Quick Reply: computer question