1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Cursed truck giving me more grief....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008 | 08:59 PM
Littlejon126
|
Default Cursed truck giving me more grief....

Well, I noticed that every once in a while, maybe once a week, the transmission would slip, just so very briefly. Not a problem. No fluid leaks noticed immediately.

Now, I've got a leak. I'm thinking its rear seal.

However, now its starting to slip more and more. In fact, I went to Walgreens for some meds as I've gotten a killer stomach flu and it slipped a few times, in a rather short 3 mile trip. Fluid leak much larger.

I'm thinking the slip is related to being low on fluid. I'm *hoping* that its just the rear seal, as that's considerably cheaper to have repaired (based on what I've read online) but I simply cannot afford a rebuild or replacement now.

Guess I'm gonna have to get some fluid and try to keep an eye on the fluid level...

Frustrating. Guess that's not uncommon for a 253K mile truck.

Old 10-24-2008 | 09:35 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Ya I would say check the fuid level first. If low fill her up and see if its gone. If not then it may be getting down to the day she does need a rebuild. 253k is great for not having problems till now! You can also flush out the tranny and change the filter but some do say it can hurt it more. I say the cleaner the fuild the better! Just put in quailty oil, maybe sythitic.

Old 10-25-2008 | 06:54 PM
Littlejon126
|

Took your advise and.....

Drum roll please?

Its running great again! Low fluid. No permanent damage to tranny that I noticed in my 22 mile drive to work. I'm gonna try one of those "leak stop" additives and see if that doesn't rectify my leak. Other than that, I'm just gonna keep lots of tranny fluid with me when I got driving!!

You know, for 253K the truck is really impressive. I wanna do some more work to it after getting the maintenance caught up and maybe eek alittle more performance out... Not that I'm hot rodding old Grandpa or anything, I just like having the umph when I needs it.

Spark plugs and tranny leak, then exhaust, then tires....Ohh, don't forget the thermostat. That's all!

Old 10-25-2008 | 07:47 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Glad to hear! Its the small tune up stuff that matters. Take care of her and she will take care of you.

Old 10-25-2008 | 09:10 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star

mine was doing it really bad when i got the truck and the filter was just really plugged up. try some lucas trans fix, it works good. i could also be the o ring around the speed sensor, that is a pretty common thing i have seen on dodges. good to here she is working again.

Quick Reply: Cursed truck giving me more grief....